PDA

View Full Version : rear windshield motor issue

Roselake
11-21-2009, 09:00 AM
The rear windshield wiper on our 2004 volvo XC70 has been malfunctioning. The motor comes on, the wiper goes to the left side and stays there, the motor is still on. We had the dealership check it, they told us the motor was shot, a new one will cost $400.00 installed. If the motor is shot, why do we hear it come on and why does it move the wiper from the right to the left? Is there a relay switch in there that tells the wiper to go back and forth? Winter is right around the corner, need to be sure the back window is kept clear of snow when driving, but don't want to spend $$ to replace the whole thing if there is a more economical solution. Thanks.

dcandmc
11-21-2009, 01:17 PM
The rear windshield wiper on our 2004 volvo XC70 has been malfunctioning. The motor comes on, the wiper goes to the left side and stays there, the motor is still on. We had the dealership check it, they told us the motor was shot, a new one will cost $400.00 installed. If the motor is shot, why do we hear it come on and why does it move the wiper from the right to the left? Is there a relay switch in there that tells the wiper to go back and forth? Winter is right around the corner, need to be sure the back window is kept clear of snow when driving, but don't want to spend $$ to replace the whole thing if there is a more economical solution. Thanks.

You were provided several suggestions (including one by me) in responses to the thread that you started on 9/25/09 on this same subject. My recommendation that I gave in that thread still stands.

Search is your friend. Here is another thread with some in-depth information on malfunctioning rear wipers, including photos:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13281