PDA

View Full Version : Stop neutral ?

atbspinner
11-17-2009, 06:30 PM
How can you tell if the stop neutral has been disconnected or whatever the software update does? Dealer charges $99 to hook up to vidas so I would prefer not to have them confirm.

duncan
11-18-2009, 12:29 PM
If your tranny is still working after 140k, stop neutral has already been disabled.

Otherwise you can try this: Come to a dead stop with the car in drive. Sit there as if you're at a red light. Do you hear the transmission shift into neutral? It should be pretty obvious if it does.

Otherwise, lightly lift your foot off the brake and see if the car creeps forward. If it creeps forward, it is in drive, and therefore stop-neutral has been disabled.

BarentsBlue
11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Duncan,

Is this applicable for ALL P2 XCs or just the "problematic" years, 01-02? Sorry for the slight high jack, but does the car have an anti-roll backwards feature that could be mistaken for "no-creep" when the brake is released?

My car, an 07, does not seem to creep unless I apply gas. This is why I have questions - concerns!

Thanks,
Andy

duncan
11-18-2009, 05:12 PM
No it was only on 01-02. I'm not sure why your car won't creep - as my friend's 06 creeps (as does my 01).

Duncan

JRL
11-18-2009, 07:16 PM
01 only in XC's
A few 2002 non turbo S60s and V70s but from what I've heard no 02 XCs

atbspinner
11-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks Duncan, I will give it a try tomorrow. I've never noticed a sound or change in rpm's at a stop so I'm hoping it is updated with current software.

Would there be any difference if you manually shift into 1st using the geartronic and come to a stop?

Aviator
11-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Stop neutral was eliminated long ago, so it's not even a consideration for your model year. Erase the thought!!

Dave.

BarentsBlue
11-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Stop neutral was eliminated long ago, so it's not even a consideration for your model year. Erase the thought!!

Repeat after me...

I am not an automotive hypochondriac.
Not every post on volvoxc.com is applicable to me.
I know that railroad tracks did not just break my front upper spring seat.
I do not have to press the message button at every stop light.

[deep breath]

Sorry, I am new to my car and I want it to be nice, but I also want to know I am not neglecting it from the start.

:o

sjonnie
11-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Stop neutral was eliminated long ago
Coast neutral however, is alive and well. Your car will effectively be in neutral while braking down to around 5mph or until you reapply the gas.

carboncow
06-04-2011, 07:45 PM
If your tranny is still working after 140k, stop neutral has already been disabled.

Otherwise you can try this: Come to a dead stop with the car in drive. Sit there as if you're at a red light. Do you hear the transmission shift into neutral? It should be pretty obvious if it does.

Otherwise, lightly lift your foot off the brake and see if the car creeps forward. If it creeps forward, it is in drive, and therefore stop-neutral has been disabled.

Although this may be a good rule of thumb it's simply not true...

Just had the NS software updated on the wives 2001 T5 with 130K miles and it made a noticeable difference from the stop light pull away clunk.

We only had this car two years and found this topic several months ago.