PDA

View Full Version : Front and rear windshield wiper replacement

wgriswold
11-17-2009, 03:35 PM
It was time to replace all three wipers. I found Bosch ICON wipers at Kragen with a $15 rebate and got them. They have a design I haven't seen before with no exposed moving parts and so should not get jammed up by snow. Seems like a good idea and must have been around for awhile, but I haven't seen them before. I know some have found the Bosch wipers unsatisfactory but on the two tests I did these worked great. I'll see how they hold up.

I couldn't find an new arm for the rears and couldn't get the old one off anyway. I was afraid to exert much force, because if I broke it I suspect I was in for an expensive trip to the dealer. I bought an 18" Trico blade refill (46-180) and cut it to match the old blade and it seems to be an exact replacement; $5. Great price and seems identical to the Volvo blade.

wiz
11-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Sounds like a good solution for the rear blade. I bought a 16" Bosch for mine and it is rubbish. I hope your front Bosch units are OK...

I'm currently fighting wax on windshield problems and have had my new front blades (Rain-X Latitude) and OEMs on/off a lot these past few days. My most recent attempt at a fix was raw ammonia on both the screen & blades. Grrrrr! :mad:

wgriswold
11-20-2009, 12:09 PM
I would think that the right solvent would be the answer to wax on the glass; maybe lacquer thinner. Just be careful not to get any on the paint because it might damage it, but maybe not. Perhaps a test on an out of the way place would answer that question. Also, I don't know if it would damage the blade. Other possibilities are paint thinner and acetone.

wiz
11-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I understand the best remedy is Classic Coca Cola. Just can't bring myself to buy some!

billr99
11-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I understand the best remedy is Classic Coca Cola. Just can't bring myself to buy some!

Coke works great. Its the sticky aftermath on the paintwork that leave a bit to be desired. Might not have been a problem if it had been raining a bit harder, but jeez, what a mess.

Cheers,

Bill