PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt

Rew177
11-13-2009, 08:56 PM
2nd owner of a nice 98 v70xc w/166k
Took ownership at 155k

I have most of the service records and the t belt was replace around 70k in 2003 however I can't find anything indicated a 2nd replacement. Should i be worried about an t belt with a possible 95k on it? I looked at it today and it looks fine, no cracks or obvious damage.

JRL
11-14-2009, 04:17 AM
I wouldn't play with fire (and your engine.
If you have no way to confirm that a belt and tensioner were installed at
140K Miles, I would install one

StoningtonXC70
11-15-2009, 11:59 AM
As someone who found out the hard way, DO THE REPLACEMENT NOW OF BOTH THE BELT AND TENSIONER!!!! Although my belt was replaced at 105K when I bought my 98, the tensioner had never been changed (and the 98 owners manual did not specify that it needed to be). It turned to shrapnel at about 135K, made the belt slip, and caused every intake valve to bend. Over $2800 and a replacement head later, all is fine at 170K.

There was a change from a hydraulic tensioner (driven by oil pressure) to a spring loaded idler wheel tensioner in mid 98 that requires replacement every belt change. This is noted in the 99 manual, but the 98 manual was never updated, nor were 98 owners advised of the requirement, to the best I have been able to find out. At 166K you may have a time bomb under that timing belt cover if your tensioner is still the original one.

While you are in there , it's a good idea to change the water pump which is driven off the timing belt. You don't want to have to pay again for the same labor associated with taking off the belt, etc.

Rew177
11-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the input. According to my engine serial# I have the spring tensioner. I kinda figured I should replace the t belt along with the tensioner and idle bearing, but didn't feel like doing it since it's in a awkward spot. I'll order the parts this week

srs
11-17-2009, 09:25 PM
The following links are helpful for this job. Bay 13 has a good description of belt removal without crankshaft pulley removal. I ended up replacing the crankshaft pulley soon after replacing the belt/tensioner and idler pulleys because the rubber vibration dampening ring was deteriorating. The Volvo special tool was very helpful to remove the pulley and I wish I had it for the belt replacement.

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/timing-belt-replacement.pdf

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt.php

Rew177
12-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Just changed my t-belt, tensioner, idler, and water pump yesterday. All the parts I changed out looked OK excepted the tensioner was about to blow its bearings out (see pic). The job took me 6 hours and 5 beers. My biggest problem was when installing the new belt there was a stud directly under the crank pulley that I couldn't see and the belt was stuck on with out me knowing. This made it impossible to get the belt around the pulleys and had me thinking the belt was too short. An hour later I figured it out and the belt slid right on. Thanks guys for advising me to address the t-belt and associated parts.

StoningtonXC70
12-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Good job..you just dodged a very expensive bullet!