PDA

View Full Version : front end shudder /vibration

Jeremy
11-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Have a shudder/vibration in the front end under acceleration / load. All new ball joints, struts, bushings etc. Search of prior posts show that it may be a CV joint/drive shaft. Looks like the LH one has been replaced fairly recently as it has a "rebuilt" Volvo sticker on it. The right does not.

The shudder is intermittent, under light or heavy load, 10-65 mph, usually not too severe but occasionally it gets fairly strong vibration and only lasts a minute or two. Would a CV joint be intermittent? I would think that it would shudder all the time under load. Hoping I'm wrong and that a new shaft assy will fix it.

Thoughts, ideas ???

Thanks,
Jeremy

javaxc70
11-13-2009, 03:24 PM
I would almost bet that it is your front right axle. I have had 2 front right axles go out on my 2001, both crappy aftermarket junk. Get Volvo OEM and save yourself the time and trouble! Symptoms were exactly like mine, and I just got done replacing both front axles a couple of months ago. You will thank yourself after the vibration is gone! :D

Aviator
11-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Check your engine mounts first, as well as the upper and lower torque roll mounts and related end bushings in the upper torque rod. I'd suspect those before inner CV joints in an axle.

Dave.

Jeremy
12-21-2009, 05:22 PM
I would almost bet that it is your front right axle. I have had 2 front right axles go out on my 2001, both crappy aftermarket junk. Get Volvo OEM and save yourself the time and trouble! Symptoms were exactly like mine, and I just got done replacing both front axles a couple of months ago. You will thank yourself after the vibration is gone! :D

Finally got around to changing the RH axle and joy, problem solved.[thumbup] BTW the old axle had very slight amount of slop in June, yesterday it had a lot. Amazing how quickly it wore. Would like to do the LH one too but is such a pain to get disengaged from the transmission.

Jeremy