PDA

View Full Version : Bushings worn out and need to replace!

hrudu
11-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Anyone has that done before?

I have 45k right now on our 05 XC70, and we just barely passed the 4 yr warranty!

Thank you.

JRL
11-13-2009, 11:35 AM
The Bushings (sigh)
WHICH or WHAT exactly would be "THE BUSHINGS"? :confused:

hrudu
11-13-2009, 12:12 PM
The Bushings (sigh)
WHICH or WHAT exactly would be "THE BUSHINGS"? :confused:

Sorry!

The control arm bushings are worn out.

And the dealer said it gonna be a very complicated process to replace them.
That it will be expensive.

I would appreciate any comments. Thanks

billr99
11-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Sorry!

Nah, not really. Do some online research and pick up the entire A-arm assembly (including bushes) and either replace them yourself or get an independent to do it. If the dealer actually said the process is "complicated", run away. That's BS.

Cheers,

Bill

Aviator
11-13-2009, 03:45 PM
If the dealer actually said the process is "complicated", run away. That's BS.

Yeah really though!!! I'd love to hear what they say of an engine rebuild!!! They probably pray for divine intervention!!!

Dave.

JRL
11-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Sorry!

Not complicated, but a bit pricey, (parts).
$700 for a pair installed would be about normal dealer retail and at times they can be a PIA to install.
Removing the old arms can be difficult if you live in a salt area! (rusted on).
With 45K miles I would ask Volvo for some help with this ($$$)

hrudu
11-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Not complicated, but a bit pricey, (parts).
$700 for a pair installed would be about normal dealer retail and at times they can be a PIA to install.
Removing the old arms can be difficult if you live in a salt area! (rusted on).
With 45K miles I would ask Volvo for some help with this ($$$)

Thanks everyone!

$700.00? Nope, they asked for a lot more!

And I actually contacted Volvo and opened a case.
Will see, I will update.

Thanks

gshadow325
11-14-2009, 05:50 AM
DIY would be in the $300 range, If i were you I'd sell the call to me for $10k, :D j/k

Jules
11-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Are there any DYI grease fittings (grease nipples) on these cars?

Jules

Aviator
11-14-2009, 12:32 PM

Negative. However, Moog makes sway bar links for these cars that have grease nipples. Everything I work on at work has grease nipples. There are pros and cons to that, but I hate it due to the mess grease makes and the dirt it picks up which makes ME dirtier than I need to be. That's the industrial world (old school) I guess.

Dave.

billr99
11-14-2009, 01:29 PM

Jules

I haven't seen grease fittings on a car in years. Last vehicle I had that had them was my '94 Range Rover and it only had them on the drive shaft joints. In thinking back, I can't recall fittings on A-arm bushings at all, but my old English cars and my Benz had them on the ball joints.

I agree with Dave that they are a messy way of doing the job and normally you aren't changing bushings all that often anyway. My preference would be polys with a decent hardness to allow a decent ride but better control than a rubber bush.

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
11-14-2009, 02:19 PM
And I actually contacted Volvo and opened a case.
Will see, I will update.

Be relantless, this is a warranty item and you're so close to the date and under the mileage, they should do something.
If not, ask the dealer for some goodwill money, each dealer has 5K per month, (from Volvo), for situations like this one.
Wait until closer to the end of the month and ask for it. This money is not like ATT rollover minutes, if they don't use it, they lose it!

hrudu
11-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Be relantless, this is a warranty item and you're so close to the date and under the mileage, they should do something.
If not, ask the dealer for some goodwill money, each dealer has 5K per month, (from Volvo), for situations like this one.
Wait until closer to the end of the month and ask for it. This money is not like ATT rollover minutes, if they don't use it, they lose it!

Thank you, for the advice!