PDA

View Full Version : Tail Gate Open Message

Skid_o
11-12-2009, 08:00 AM
My wife SLAMMED the tail gate shut last night and now the tail gate open message is on while I am driving. I tried closing the tail gate numerous times but the message is still on. Also the light in the cargo area is on while driving. I use the reset button but that just makes the message go away till I start the vehicle again. Any ideas thanks. 2006 XC70

wgriswold
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Sometimes the mat in the cargo area shifts rearward and prevents the tail gate door from closing properly and the sensor thinks the door is open. Try and move the mat forward as far as it will go. Or, perhaps, something else is preventing the door from closing all the way.

Good luck.

Skid_o
11-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks check that first and the tail gate does close all the way.

Skid_o
11-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Found problem. One of the electrical connections to the rear window defroster on rear window had come off. Reconnected it and message went away.

Jeremy
11-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Found problem. One of the electrical connections to the rear window defroster on rear window had come off. Reconnected it and message went away.

Yup, that is part of the lock circuit. There is a trace across the back window glass. Break the glass and the circuit opens and alarm sounds.

Jules
11-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Glad to hear you solved the problem. I am forever telling people (mostly my wife) "Please do not slam the door". Why do some people think you need to apply 150 Ft Lbs of force to close a perfectly good working door, trunk or hood.

Oh well, at least the rest of us will know what to look for when our turn comes. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Jules

Willy
11-14-2009, 01:19 AM
I also try to educate my wife about closing the doors of a car. But after a mere 30 years of exercise she
still hasn't reached expert level = adapting the force whether or not it is the last door being shut :D :D
Willy

billr99
11-14-2009, 06:42 AM
It must be a universal problem. I've been married for 35 years and I'm still asking SWMBO not to slam the door. So then the question is why does it seem that wives have a tendency to do this?:eek:

Cheers,

Bill

kamiar
11-14-2009, 06:59 AM
I am telling this to my wife for the last 15 years and funny thing is yesterday when i was rushing to the bank at 3:55 PM, i kind of slammed the door and in the way running to the bank, there she was yelling "Its a Volvo for god sake, did you really need to slam the door like that"!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Jules
11-14-2009, 11:12 AM
I am telling this to my wife for the last 15 years and funny thing is yesterday when i was rushing to the bank at 3:55 PM, i kind of slammed the door and in the way running to the bank, there she was yelling "Its a Volvo for god sake, did you really need to slam the door like that"!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

must be bad karma :rolleyes:

Aviator
11-14-2009, 12:28 PM
I have three slammers of the female variety myself. Even after demonstrating how a gentle, but firm amount of force is all that's needed to close the doors, they still insist on running for the car and competing for the front seat which, in turn, results in door slamming. I HATE it!!

Dave.

Willy
11-15-2009, 05:12 AM
It must be a universal problem. I've been married for 35 years and I'm still asking SWMBO not to slam the door. So then the question is why does it seem that wives have a tendency to do this?:eek:

Cheers,

Bill
Perhaps they sometimes feel the need to slam something. If so, I think car doors are a viable option ;)
Willy

billr99
11-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Perhaps they sometimes feel the need to slam something. If so, I think car doors are a viable option ;)
Willy

Hmmm? Well after 35 years, I suppose she might have a couple of things. Especially in regard to cars and me.

Cheers,

Bill