PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Vibration at High Speeds with New Wheels

SYSWPG
11-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I noticed a pronounced, continuous vibration in the steering wheel during a highway drive today at an approximate speed of 100km/hour. Within the past three weeks I have had new steel wheels with winter tires put on and balanced. Never had this problem before. Haven't hit any potholes or anything that might have damaged the rim or tire. Any thoughts about what the problem could be? Any help is appreciated.

uscgc70
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM
They could be improperly balanced. are they Volvo steel wheels? if not they might not be hubcentric, meaning they could be using the bolts to keep the wheel centered, which may be an issue.

Ocean Racer
11-11-2009, 11:43 PM
I noticed a pronounced, continuous vibration in the steering wheel during a highway drive today at an approximate speed of 100km/hour.

That is your wheel balance. You need to take the car back and have it redone.
Perhaps one of the weights has come off ?

SYSWPG
11-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Kal Tire replaced aftermarket 16 inch steel wheels with Core Racing Superlite 16 inch alloy wheels and centric rings today. There was no additional charge for the wheels, but there was for the rings. There was no noticeable improvement at 80 km/hour and above. Needless to say, I was discouraged and regretting my decision not to purchase winter wheels and tires at the dealership, even though I could not get the [Nokian] winter tires I had selected, and there was a significant markup, close to $500 difference.

I returned to Kal Tire and expressed my disatisfaction. They put their heads together and made two changes: They used longer lug bolts (14 by 1.50) with a different pitch as well as thicker centric rings.

They road tested it and have declared the problem solved. I have not driven it myself yet at the aforementioned speed, but am hoping.