PDA

View Full Version : Buttons on drivers side door temporarily dead

duncan
11-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Here's a weird one...

I unlock the car with the remote, single click. Get in the car and start it up. Then I go to unlock all the doors with the side button - nothing

click click click, nothing is happening. Try the passenger and rear windows - none of them move. Try to adjust the mirrors, none of them move.

However, the drivers window works fine.

I restart the car a few times and the problem persists.

At one point I hold the mirror adjuster over for a few seconds and eventually it starts sporadically working. A little jerky, but with some motion. The windows also work, but with a little delay.

I restart the car again and everything is fine. No issues.

Any ideas what this could be? I honestly don't know if this is a new problem or not, as I so rarely use any of those buttons. It's too cold to roll the windows down, and I usually unlock the whole car with the remote.

Thanks,
Duncan

billr99
11-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Here's a weird one...

I unlock the car with the remote, single click. Get in the car and start it up. Then I go to unlock all the doors with the side button - nothing

click click click, nothing is happening. Try the passenger and rear windows - none of them move. Try to adjust the mirrors, none of them move.

However, the drivers window works fine.

I restart the car a few times and the problem persists.

At one point I hold the mirror adjuster over for a few seconds and eventually it starts sporadically working. A little jerky, but with some motion. The windows also work, but with a little delay.

I restart the car again and everything is fine. No issues.

Any ideas what this could be? I honestly don't know if this is a new problem or not, as I so rarely use any of those buttons. It's too cold to roll the windows down, and I usually unlock the whole car with the remote.

Thanks,
Duncan

Other than the possibility of a corroded connection somewhere, I chalk these kinds of problems up to "stray cosmic rays". Same excuse I used when one of our applications or servers inexplicably choked when I was in the IT world. It seems that it will become an ever-increasing problem as cars become more reliant on circuits and processors instead of good old reliable mechanical bits. The Ghost of Lucas now resides in all cars that are computer controlled.

Cheers,

Bill

Jules
11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I had a similar problem, only in my case, my wife started the car and all four windows went down and wouldn't go up again. Also, the remote mirror controls didn't work. Turns out I had a fried DDM (Driver's Door Module - $878 installed with new software.)

You may be able to clear any faulty codes by disconnecting the battery. Turn off all accessories including the AC and stereo. Disconnect the negative terminal, then positive terminal, and touch them together for a few seconds. Reconnect the positive terminal. Insert the key and turn it to the run (or II) position. Now reconnect the negative terminal. Turn the key to off and lock and unlock the car several times in succession with the key fob. This is supposed to reset the memory.

If the problem persists, you can do a search in the resources section (top of this page) and check the "How-To guides and Tips" menu. There are several articles explaining how to remove, disassemble and clean the DDM.

Let us know how you make out. Cheers

EDIT: Oops... Didn't realise you're a senior member, in which case the info I provided above is nothing new to you. I'll let it stand for the newbies to learn from. J/

Jules

slowflyer
11-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Sounds like you need a new driver door module. Mine had issues with windows not operating. I paid $370 for the part and $65 for DDM reload last year. Ouch.