PDA

View Full Version : newbie with questions

seth1065
11-09-2009, 08:02 PM
hi everyone hope all is well, I have been reading for awhile and have some questions, my saab 900 was totaled and I was looking for a car when I found a 2001 xc with 133k on it from a friend, the car has a new tranny in it recently and a new exhust, I have not gotten it yet but reading everything on the board about the 01 I know it may be a crapshoot but think with the new trans I will be ok, my question is with a new tranny do I have to do anything to it besides normal maintance?? Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will be one of the happy 01 owners.:confused:

javaxc70
11-10-2009, 06:03 AM
I got my 01 with a new transmission at 150K and just did what everyone recommended: change fluid, new software, B4 servo, and installed a filter. Those have made the transmission work smooooth. Get the AWD check out by a good volvo mechanic and have it looked over thoroughly before purchase. Generally it is recommended to go 03 or newer with XCs, but I have had my 01 for a couple of years now, and it runs great! Hope that helps! :D

seth1065
11-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info on the trans, I am getting the car tomorrow, how do I know if I have the updates software, I will get all the paperwork from all repairs since the car was new, would it say it the new tranny what software was installed with it. Would have like a 03 or newer but this was too good of a deal to pass up.

javaxc70
11-10-2009, 05:09 PM
It the software upgrade was documented correctly you should have some paperwork associated with it. The best way to tell is to look for the transmission dropping into neutral at stoplights or anytime the vehicle has come within 5 mph of a complete stop (with an associated hesitation then CLUNK after hitting accelerator). In case no documentation is provided, fork over the cash and have it checked for software upgrades by the dealer. It is better to spend a little cash to get it checked than to have a tranny crap out! My wife and I are still happy we bought our 01! Enjoy! :D