PDA

View Full Version : Front brake work

wgriswold
11-06-2009, 05:44 PM
The good news is that my front brakes, and the rear too, have gone 65K miles. Now it is time to replace the front ones. A Volvo dealer quotes $250 without rotors and $600 with rotors which I probable need. Two local shops (not Volvo specific) have quoted $500 for the complete job.

Are these prices in line? I haven't done brakes for a long time and this is about 2x what I was used to but that was almost ten years ago.

Chilled Man
11-06-2009, 07:25 PM
$50 a rotor
$40 ish for a set of pads

so figure $300 in parrts shipped

slowflyer
11-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I just paid $385 (352 + tax) for premium pads and rotors at Goodyear. About $250 for parts, although I am sure Chilled is specing better parts than I got.

Just a data point.

TheDarkKnightt
11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Some good Mintex "red" pads and some decent rotors...that's about right what Chilledman said...plus shipping of course. ;)

Try one of the websites that sell Volvo parts such as ipdusa.com or some of the others. I'd just stay away from the Chinese rotors if at all possible- they are usually a bit soft and sometimes thinner than OEM. Also, those "lifetime" pads sold at chain parts stores aren't usually any good either, IMHO...but many people like them. I like a softer, quality pad that doesn't wear the rotor as fast, and instead wears the pad.

dhayner
11-06-2009, 11:38 PM
I put in a set of Akebono Euro ceramic pads a couple of weeks ago - I'm delighted with the lack of dust on my wheels now.

frank_a
11-07-2009, 06:27 AM
I put the oem back on mine. The originals lasted a long time. I choose to put up with the dust.

frank_a
11-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Also, those "lifetime" pads sold at chain parts stores aren't usually any good either, IMHO...but many people like them.

Best advice. I decided to give them a try on our Maxima. 7 months and 7,000 miles later I brought the car in for an inspection. They told me I needed new brakes. How is that possible? The pads were done and they damaged the rotors! [cussing]

howardc64
11-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Best advice. I decided to give them a try on our Maxima. 7 months and 7,000 miles later I brought the car in for an inspection. They told me I needed new brakes. How is that possible? The pads were done and they damaged the rotors! [cussing]

My local firestone's brake job warped my subaru rotors every 5k miles. Same happened to my friend's Honda Odyssey. It seems whatever pad they used didn't dissipate heat too well.

wgriswold
11-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys. A lot of good information if I decide to do it myself. What do you think about the prices to have a mechanic do the work?

Chilled Man
11-07-2009, 09:05 PM
I just paid $385 (352 + tax) for premium pads and rotors at Goodyear. About $250 for parts, although I am sure Chilled is specing better parts than I got.

Just a data point.

Volvo OEM :D

Labor wise 2 hrs tops spend more time driving the car up on the lift and removing the tires then the rest of the work .