PDA

View Full Version : Changed Timing Belt Now Getting P0026 & P0027

mike_kirchner
10-16-2009, 03:06 PM
I just changed my timing belt on my 2.5t now I am getting p0026 and p0027 is this something that is related???

RockitShip
10-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Could be.

Those codes are related to the intake & exhaust valve control solenoid(s).
I'm not sure what those are... I could be wrong, but on top of the cams,
near the timing belt side and beneath the engine cover are the solenoids.
I can only assume these are the very same "VVT" solenoids.

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/DTC/P0026
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/DTC/P0027

billy780
10-16-2009, 04:27 PM
When you changed the belt did you prevent the intake and exhaust cams from moving? I have a feeling you let them move and they are now out of sync and throwing the codes, typically when I do the timing belt I use wood shims to wedge behind the cam wheels so they dont slip........................

Chilled Man
10-16-2009, 05:28 PM
When you changed the belt did you prevent the intake and exhaust cams from moving? I have a feeling you let them move and they are now out of sync and throwing the codes, typically when I do the timing belt I use wood shims to wedge behind the cam wheels so they dont slip........................

I would say no ......... lol

Jeremy
10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Pull the cover and recheck the timing marks on the cams and pulleys are aligned. You may have be one tooth off. As long as the marks line up the cams are timed correctly. The variable timing is all internal and self adjusting assuming the marks are indexed correctly.

See the PDF in the first post on how to align the marks without using the cover. Too late this time but will make it easier next time. http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10968

Aviator
10-16-2009, 08:57 PM
As long as the marks line up the cams are timed correctly

True, but if the crank is off then the cams will be off too. You really need to go back to square one and get the crank at #1 TDC and then check your cams.

Dave.

mike_kirchner
10-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Any suggestions on the best way to line the marks up? They are pain to see and to match up with the cover considering the angle.

Aviator
10-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Any suggestions on the best way to line the marks up? They are pain to see and to match up with the cover considering the angle.

Unfortunately, to do this correctly, you're going to have to open it all up again and check that way.

Dave.

mike_kirchner
10-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Yes I have it all tore back down. I am just wondering if there is a good way to line the marks up. I hate they put the marks on the plastic.

howardc64
10-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Yes I have it all tore back down. I am just wondering if there is a good way to line the marks up. I hate they put the marks on the plastic.

Indeed the upper cover timing marks are not so helpful if you want to be super precise.

The cam will turn 2x faster than the crank... so to make sure I'm on the right tooth, I line up the crank mark first which is a little hard to see as I recall. Then I do my best to eye ball the cam marks against the marks on the plastic cover. Then I move the crank back and forth just a little to see how far the cam marks move comparing both intake and exhaust marks. Then it becomes obvious that you will see a fair bit of movement if you are a tooth off on either of the cams.

Hope that made sense. Use the 2 to 1 turn rate ratio to your advantage. You can get a sense of what it looks like it you are one tooth off.

10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
The cam turns 1/2 the speed of the crank, not 2x faster

10-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Mark the timing points with white...I have used white paint and also "white-out"...

howardc64
10-20-2009, 08:44 AM
The cam turns 1/2 the speed of the crank, not 2x faster

Thanks, I always get this backwards! Bigger cam gear to little crank gear = 1/2 speed :)

10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
IPD of Portland, Oregon sells Volvo replacement and aftermarket parts...They sell a holding tool for the cam gears...There is valve spring pressure on the cams and when the belt is removed, the cams tend to move a little bit...IPD's tool has four pins that insert into the cogs on the timing gears...You move the gears to the marks BEFORE the belt is removed and then insert the tool...Now the belt can be removed and the cams will not move...The tool costs $24.95...Expensive, but not if you have to do a do-over...