PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded brake dust

polvo
11-09-2003, 03:27 PM
hey folks

winter has definately set in... the weekly car washing has long since been forgotten... too cold... i decided to was the car last night (coin fed pressure and a rub over with the sponge - not the usual hand wash)... so i get to the wheels, spray them with a castrol cleaner and give em a bit of a scrub... much to my dismay i find that brake dust has baked onto the rims... the problem is worse on the front (of course)... it isn t anything major, but it is annoying...

any tips for removing baked on brake dust  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif i heard that this is a bit of a problem with volvos... is the stuff stuck there for good ?? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

guess i won t wait so long between clean ups next time

cheers

polvo

NeuDaddi
11-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Baked on brake dust?  You mean its hardened and caked on?  I've had brake dust issues on other cars, but the brake dust always seemed to be suspended in an oil or grease and was fairly easy to wash off with some soap and water.  I wonder if bug and tar remover would get the brake dust off once it has hardened.

polvo
11-10-2003, 10:01 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NeuDaddi @ Nov. 10 2003,06:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder if bug and tar remover would get the brake dust off once it has hardened.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
yeah.. that is my next option... i ll give it a shot tomorrow... anyone else have any suggestions ??

cheers

polvo

BillAileo
11-10-2003, 03:52 PM
I would recommend caution on the chemicals used on your wheels. &nbsp;You want something mild enough that it wont screw up the finish on them. &nbsp;I understand from other threads on this site that P21S is such a product. &nbsp;I&#39;m sure there must be others. &nbsp;Some years ago I got carried away cleaning the wheels on my &#39;86 240 with a too aggressive product and they were never the same again.

Bill

krs
11-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Polvo,

I have been using th Eagle1 rim cleaner (got it @ Canadian Tire) and it works like a charm &#33; Spray on, give it 20 -30 seconds to work, scrub with delicate brush and rinse and voila &#33;

Hope this helps, let me know &#33;

Chris

littlewaywelt
11-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Don&#39;t use any acidic wheel cleaners. &nbsp;They are likely to etch the wheels. &nbsp;If you do, dillute it very well and rinse liberally.

If you apply a carnuba wax to your wheels you should be able to just wipe out the dust every few days with minimal effort.