PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Park

wsp310
10-12-2009, 09:06 AM
I have a 2002 XC70 with 68,000 miles. The temps here have been getting colder and was down to 30 degrees this morning. There has been an occasional problem with the shifter being stuck in park when the car is first started. After a while it will come out of park and shift through the gear positions normally. I have read several posts about shift lock solenoid and brake switches but for the most part there is no info.

I can hear and feel the shift lock solenoid clicking and feel it thru the shift knob but it still will not release. The brake lights are working each time. I have pumped the brakes several times with the car running and off to check everything but there was no solution.

Is this an item that can be cleaned and lubed? Is it not just releasing all the way and possibly related to the colder weather? It's going to get a lot colder here and I'd like to get this cleared up soon as possible but want to avoid the dealer. If there is a solution I have the skills and tools to get at it but am looking for some "been there, done that" advise. Also looking for a manual release for the shifter lock if there is one in case the wife gets stuck.

Thanks,

John Jones