PDA

View Full Version : Front control arm bushings.

knifenut
10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
2001 v70 xc awd

I got under the car today and checked things out. The bad news is the front control arm bushings are shot. The good news is everything else looks pretty good.

Are there any other bushings, etc. that I should just switch out since I'm going to be under there anyway ? Are the stock bushings OK or should I look at aftermarket?

Thanks.

JRL
10-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Use VOLVO, the aftermarkets are far worse.
Check the outer tie rods while you're in the area

Chilled Man
10-06-2009, 10:20 AM
replace the whole control arm dont waste your time changing the bushings

JRL
10-06-2009, 01:03 PM
That too!

RockitShip
10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
replace the whole control arm dont waste your time changing the bushings

I noticed the arms don't come with the ball joint.
Would you purchase the ball joint from volvo and then install it yourself?
What's involved with the ball joint anyway? Do they need to be pressed in?

sjonnie
10-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Nope no ball-joint press or ball-joint separator needed. Just undo the nut and it'll come straight off the control arm. The ball joint itself is simply bolted onto the steering knuckle. Easiest ball-joint to replace ever.

RockitShip
10-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Nope no ball-joint press or ball-joint separator needed. Just undo the nut and it'll come straight off the control arm. The ball joint itself is simply bolted onto the steering knuckle. Easiest ball-joint to replace ever.

Thanks jonnie,
What about when you have to separate the tie rod end? Is their a special tool
for separation? I thought I saw something in the PDF how-to section.

sjonnie
10-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks jonnie,
What about when you have to separate the tie rod end? Is their a special tool
for separation? I thought I saw something in the PDF how-to section.

Most tie rod ends seem to need a puller for separation, the one's on my Volvo just come apart when you unbolt them :)

knifenut
10-09-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm considering doing the entire control arm after looking for parts prices. At IPD the bushings are nearly $50.00 EACH!! At FTCGroton the front control arm bushings are under $20.00 each. The entire control arm is under $90.00 with front and rear bushings.

Ball joints are also under $20.00 each. For about $250.00 I can get both control arms complete and the ball joints. Less than half what the parts are at IPD. IPD is the only place other than a dealer I can find the V90 front axle bolts though so I guess I have to deal with them on that one unless anybody here knows where V90 front axle bolts can be had for a more reasonable price. I wish FTCGroton had those too.:(

billr99
10-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I wish FTCGroton had those too.:(
Just because FCP Groton doesn't have a listing doesn't mean that they cannot get the part for you at a decent price. Just send them an e-mail with the part number or a good description and they will get back to you with an answer. As an example, I just got the B4 Servo upgrade from them for $14 even though they had no on-line listing for it.

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
10-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm considering doing the entire control arm after looking for parts prices. At IPD the bushings are nearly $50.00 EACH!! At FTCGroton the front control arm bushings are under $20.00 each. The entire control arm is under $90.00 with front and rear bushings.

Right
Are you looking at VOLVO control arms, DO NOT use aftermarket control arms from Groton and Scantesh or whoever, they're JUNK.
You need to use Volvo pieces and 50 bucks is CHEAP

kamiar
10-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Ball joints are also under $20.00 each. For about $250.00 I can get both control arms complete and the ball joints. Less than half what the parts are at IPD. IPD is the only place other than a dealer I can find the V90 front axle bolts though so I guess I have to deal with them on that one unless anybody here knows where V90 front axle bolts can be had for a more reasonable price. I wish FTCGroton had those too.:(

He is from Montrel, sells the XC90 bolts cheaper than IPD and dealer but I am not sure if he ships to US, try emailing him.. [email protected]

knifenut
10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Just because FCP Groton doesn't have a listing doesn't mean that they cannot get the part for you at a decent price. Just send them an e-mail with the part number or a good description and they will get back to you with an answer. As an example, I just got the B4 Servo upgrade from them for $14 even though they had no on-line listing for it.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I Called FCP Groton and spoke with Kyle in parts. I gave him the part #30714142 and he said it came up as dealer only. I told him IPD had it for $25.00 and he said that's what he showed on his system but they couldn't get it. He said I'd have to get it from a dealer or call IPD and ask for Cameron. :confused:

The V70 Axle bolt is $4.00. The V90 axel bolt is nearly identical except for a different size head and a rubber or urethane bushing that looks like a bottle stopper with a hole. Anybody know where to buy urethane bottle stoppers. I bet they are less than $20.00 each. :^)

Groton had a BUNCH of parts at the best prices I've seen. Are all of their cheaper parts aftermarket? I'd rather spend more on a higher quality part and have it last but paying over twice as much for the same or very similar part makes my butt hurt. :^)

Right
Are you looking at VOLVO control arms, DO NOT use aftermarket control arms from Groton and Scantesh or whoever, they're JUNK.
You need to use Volvo pieces and 50 bucks is CHEAP

$50.00 is cheap for a control arm bushing ?

billr99
10-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Oh well, it was worth a shot. Interesting that they pointed you toward IPD. That's always a sign of an honest outfit, when they direct you to their competitor when they can't help you.

Just remember that many times aftermarket bits come from the same suppliers that supply the OEMs. I've never had a bit of trouble with any of the parts that I've gotten from FCP (or other on-line retailers for that matter) and most of those parts were aftermarket. All my Volvos have gone many, many miles on aftermarket bits so I'm a real proponent of keeping my money in my pocket rather than paying for an OEM name on the cardboard packaging.

Cheers,

Bill

Aviator
10-10-2009, 01:21 PM
The ball joint itself is simply bolted onto the steering knuckle. Easiest ball-joint to replace ever.

The ball joint is pressed into the knuckle; R&R is not as easy as you think!!:D

Dave.

Aviator
10-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Knifenut, the bushings that IPD sells are Volvo bushings. Most of their suspension and steering parts are Volvo parts in Volvo packaging but without Volvo prices. They are the exact same parts that were on your car when it left the factory.

Dave.