PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Sydney/NSW XC drive - lets pick a date!

PJ810
09-29-2009, 05:07 AM
Hey crew. I thought I'd start a new thread to keep things clear and simple.

Date for our second Drive Day?

In order to maintain a months notice, I propose early November.

Saturday 7th November

or

Sunday 15th November

Happy to take other suggestions but I do wish to lock down a date this week.

The consensus seems to be we head to the Southern Highlands. Our O/S friends have seen enough of our mountain ranges, lets dish out some photos of the lush green picturesque Highland landscape.

We can pick a route in due course. I believe we have some Canberra interest so we should find suitable starting and finishing points to accommodate non-Sydney drivers.

Lets get it happening!

myzomela
10-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Pencil me in for the 7th! i just need to coordinate this with family plans...

I'm the Canberra interest you referred to - at least part of it. By coincidence, i just happen to be working up the road from Geoscience Australia's map shop. If we can pin down a location, I can easily get 1:50000 topographic maps.

PJ810
10-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Pencil me in for the 7th! i just need to coordinate this with family plans...

I'm the Canberra interest you referred to - at least part of it. By coincidence, i just happen to be working up the road from Geoscience Australia's map shop. If we can pin down a location, I can easily get 1:50000 topographic maps.

OK, lets run with the 7th. There must be other takers as we had about six interested parties. I'll chase them up this week.

PJ810
10-11-2009, 02:18 PM
OK, lets run with the 7th. There must be other takers as we had about six interested parties. I'll chase them up this week.

OK, just realised that the 7th is already out for me. Is Sunday the 8th a viable alternative?

myzomela
10-21-2009, 04:15 AM
Count me in for the 8th. Any thoughts for a meeting point at this stage?

PJ810
10-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Mittagong? Carpark near the clock tower? Is that convenient enough?

Now we need some responses from the others. We had about 6 people keen before!

PJ810
10-24-2009, 01:33 AM
OK, there's at least one more taker, waiting to hear back from a few others.

Franxc06
10-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi Guys sounds like a good day out with XCs let me know which day,
last simester at TAFE lots of exams hopefully I'll be able to join in
Cheers
Frank

PJ810
10-26-2009, 03:50 AM
Hi Guys sounds like a good day out with XCs let me know which day,
last simester at TAFE lots of exams hopefully I'll be able to join in
Cheers
Frank

Frank, you'll just have to join us. Nothing better for study than a good day driving in the countryside!

Sunday 8th November is locked in now.

Lets confirm a starting point and look at a suitable route that is safe and fun for our cars. :D

Hayabusa
10-26-2009, 04:09 AM
Oh rats!

I'm free after 12pm on the 8th. I'm happy to meet up AFTER the drive to have a cuppa and take some photos... if it suits... :o

myzomela
10-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Starting in Mittagong sounds good to me. I don't have a complete proposed route, but there are a few spots north of the Hume Highway which I'll throw in for consideration:
Joadja - a ghost mining town;
Wombeyan Caves Road has a small tunnel which could provide some good pics for the forum
In Nattai National Park, there's Mt Jellore and Wangaderry Lookout.
You can see these on Google Earth or www.bonzle.com.au. Any more suggestions out there?

PJ810
10-29-2009, 04:41 AM
Starting in Mittagong sounds good to me. I don't have a complete proposed route, but there are a few spots north of the Hume Highway which I'll throw in for consideration:
Wombeyan Caves Road has a small tunnel which could provide some good pics for the forum
You can see these on Google Earth or www.bonzle.com.au. Any more suggestions out there?

Sound like a solid proposal. Lets lock down a route in the next day or two. It's been a while since I've been to Joadja so I'm keen and I love tunnels!

We've got three confirmed (including Matters, a silver 2009 XC70). And I think there was another maybe out there, one for afternoon tea and a few I haven't heard back from.

Matters
10-31-2009, 06:26 AM
Pat, I will drive down to Mittagong with you.

PJ810
11-02-2009, 04:06 AM

I've also been looking at the Morton National Park, but that's in the other direction. The road to Wombeyan Caves is great. Happy if someone wants to throw a complete route in there or part of a route and we can piece it all together. There's another Sydney XC70 coming, hopefully for all of the day but maybe only for the first few hours. So considering a route with an early stop for some photos, and an easy bailout point might make sense. Just as a thought.

PJ810
11-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Edit: Nattai seems good (much closer to Mittagong than Morton NP) but appears to be one way in and out (unless Matters is keen to take his '09 down a fire trail and across the river!). Sheehy's Creek Road is shut, but we'll be approaching from the South anyway.

So I suggest:

1. Meet Mittagong 9:30am
2. Run into Nattai NP (morning tea somewhere in the NP) - 1hr 15mins (11am)
3. Cruise to Joadja (lunch) - 2 hours from furthest point in Nattai (1:30pm)
4. Sealed relaxed run to Wombeyan (is the last part still unsealed???) - 2hrs30mins from Joadja (4pm)
5. Wombeyan to Big Hill -1hr 40mins (5:30pm)
6. Big Hill to Marulan -40 mins (6:30pm)
7. Marulan to Mittagong -45 mins (7:45pm)
8. Home 10:30pm

Doing the number crunching, it looks like it might be sensible to cut Joadja out of the itinerary. Or one of the others. Thoughts?
'Roos at dusk is another consideration. Prefer to wrap up and be near a freeway before 6pm.

PJ810
11-02-2009, 05:09 AM
OK, Joadja in or out doesn't make much difference. The killers on time (not km) are Nattai and in particular Wombeyan Caves. I reckon we need to choose one or the other so we can relax.

Doing them both will involve 8 hours of driving plus getting to and from Mittagong (although it's less than 300km).

myzomela
11-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the detailed planning, Patrick! More than I've been able to do over the last few days.
I think you're right: drop either Nattai or Wombeyan. I have a slight preference to do Wombeyan Caves Rd, as a reccy for a future family trip. The Marulan stop also suits me, as I'd probably head back to Canberra from there.

Should be a good day. Look out for me in an ash gold MY01 XC70, with an old numeric rego plate.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/4069080717_c86f245aec.jpg

PJ810
11-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the detailed planning, Patrick! More than I've been able to do over the last few days.
I think you're right: drop either Nattai or Wombeyan. I have a slight preference to do Wombeyan Caves Rd, as a reccy for a future family trip. The Marulan stop also suits me, as I'd probably head back to Canberra from there.

Should be a good day. Look out for me in an ash gold MY01 XC70, with an old numeric rego plate.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/4069080717_c86f245aec.jpg

OK, unless there's an overwhelming vote FOR Nattai and against Wombeyan...

I'm easy. :D

PJ810
11-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Revised suggested itinerary:

Meet Mittagong 9:30am, depart 10am.

Drive to Joadja, 40mins.

Arrive Joadja for morning tea, 10:40am

Depart Joadja 11am

Drive to Wombeyan Caves, 2h 30mins

Arrive Wombeyan Caves 1:30pm

Lunch

Depart Wombeyan Caves 2:30pm

Drive to Big Hill 1h 40mins

Depart Big Hill 4:30pm

Arrive Marulan 5:10pm

Say goodbyes at Marulan and leave 5:30pm

Marulan to Canberra 1h 30mins
Marulan to Mittagong 45mins
Mittagong to Sydney 1h 30mins

Note 1: Deleting Joadja would save only 10 mins of driving time.
Note 2: Starting a little earlier can push lunch back to 1pm.

Does this itinerary seem reasonable?

Matters
11-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Fire trail is fine. River crossing, in three years time, yes but as for now, no. Although if I see Patrick's XC cross successfully I might be persuaded. But if he floats down the river I am turning around.

Sounds like you have put a great deal of effort into this! Thanks a bunch Patrick.

We could also double it up as a Windows 7 launch party....only joking.

PJ810
11-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Fire trail is fine. River crossing, in three years time, yes but as for now, no. Although if I see Patrick's XC cross successfully I might be persuaded. But if he floats down the river I am turning around.

Sounds like you have put a great deal of effort into this! Thanks a bunch Patrick.

We could also double it up as a Windows 7 launch party....only joking.

Back in my early uni days I achieved wash marks from the creek across the bottom edge of the headlights of my 244. It wasn't intended - it was dark and the water had risen since my daytime crossing. :eek: Regardless, I'm NOT taking my XC70 up to its lights in water. Happy to drive yours through the creek for you though. :P It's easier abusing a car you don't own. :D

Do a search and you'll find pics of XC70 with the water washing over the top of the bonnet... and they came out the other end. [thumbup]

Hayabusa
11-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Revised suggested itinerary:
Arrive Marulan 5:10pm

Say goodbyes at Marulan and leave 5:30pm

Marulan to Canberra 1h 30mins
Marulan to Mittagong 45mins

I'll be free in the afternoon with the kids to meet up for a cuppa and photos in Mittagong if you like. Maybe at about 6pm ish???

If somebody can, SMS me details of where to meet in Mittagong (if people want to stop for 20 minutes for a meet and greet). If people are feeling goooooooooooone and would rather keep heading for home rather than stop at Mittagong, I'm okay with that too.

I'll be coming form Marrickville (inner west Sydney), so as long as you SMS me by 4:30pm, I'm there!

Hayabusa
11-07-2009, 06:07 AM
...by the way, if you're looking for me, I look like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/pansta/Pan/XC90010609.jpg

.... or like this after dark:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/pansta/Pan/XC90280509.jpg

[thumbup]

PJ810
11-07-2009, 06:38 AM
I'll be free in the afternoon with the kids to meet up for a cuppa and photos in Mittagong if you like. Maybe at about 6pm ish???

If somebody can, SMS me details of where to meet in Mittagong (if people want to stop for 20 minutes for a meet and greet). If people are feeling goooooooooooone and would rather keep heading for home rather than stop at Mittagong, I'm okay with that too.

I'll be coming form Marrickville (inner west Sydney), so as long as you SMS me by 4:30pm, I'm there!

I'll SMS you in the morning. I'm thinking very late afternoon tea/dinner in Mittagong at about 6pm-6:30pm can work well.