PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt/water pump replacement

Capt. Canuck
09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm getting close to replacing the timing belt on my '03 XC70 and was looking for some confirmation whether or not to also replace the water pump.

I'll probably replace the serpetine belt at the same time however I'm getting conflicting advice. An independant Volvo technician suggested I replace the water pump at the same time. He claims they usually go more or less about the same time as the timing belt.

However I contacted my local Volvo dealer and the technician I spoke to there said he rarely sees the water pump go on these cars.

So who do I believe. I've had over 6 cars in the last 15 or so yrs. and only one had to get the water pump replaced, I suspect main because it had well over 250,000kms on the odometre.

Also are there anything else I should inspect for replacement?

shamr0ck
09-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I asked this ? this morning while having the tires rotated as I too am close to changing the TB.

My mechanic told me that doing the pump at the same time, only adds .5 hours and the cost of the pump to the job. If I don't do the pump, and it subsequently fails, then many/most of the disassembly/reassembly necessary for the TB change will need to be redone.

I'm expecting to do the TB, Water Pump and Serpentine belt all at the same time. Is there anything else I should do as long as they are in there?

Many thanks in advance.

duettitude
09-28-2009, 01:58 PM
IMO, replacing the waterpump is not critical. These waterpumps are not known for premature failure and they really aren't that hard to get at if and when they do fail. Compare that to my Audi V8. Those waterpumps are known to fail early and accessing them basically requires removing the entire front end of the car. Doing the waterpump with the timing belt is standard operating procedure on those cars. As far as the Volvo, you should be fine if you just replace the timing belt, the timing belt tensioner and the idler pulley.

shamr0ck
09-28-2009, 02:04 PM
ok ~ thanks. If it isn't too much of a hassle, i'll save the $$ on the pump and the extra labor.

Am I correct in doing the serpentine belt at the same time as the TB?

duettitude
09-28-2009, 02:07 PM
ok ~ thanks. If it isn't too much of a hassle, i'll save the $$ on the pump and the extra labor.

Am I correct in doing the serpentine belt at the same time as the TB?

The service interval for the serpentine belt is the same as for the timing belt so yes, unless you're doing the timing belt way early for some reason, do the serpentine belt too.

Chilled Man
09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Milage ?

I do WP every 200k or 10years
Tbelt , tensinar and pulley every 75k or 5 years
S belt every tbelt

shamr0ck
09-28-2009, 03:10 PM
my 04 (XC70) manual says to do the TB at 120K, but many of the online resources (here and others) suggest that it should be done "sooner". I have 111.5K on the vehicle now and am scheduled for a round trip drive from MD to MA in a couple of weeks.

Figured, since I'm close to the mileage interval and there's nothing worse than major issues far from the shop you trust, I'd have it done prior to the trip.

kamiar
09-28-2009, 05:43 PM
My water pump started leaking at 99,000 KM, i also changed the timing belt at the same time.

justthefacts
09-28-2009, 06:29 PM
When I had my '04 in for service at the dealer last winter I asked about water pump replacement during the TB service. The technician said it was not standard procedure to replace the pump, and that it has not been a particular trouble issue. I had no indications of trouble, so no pump for me, now at 120k miles.