PDA

View Full Version : Stereo options

Defender
09-28-2009, 07:43 AM
anybody come across these? are they any good?http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Volvo-S60-V70-XC70-2001-2003-Custom-Player_W0QQitemZ280401150990QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_C ar_Audio_Players_PP?hash=item414936040e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_9831wt_780

dcandmc
09-28-2009, 08:08 AM
There are some pretty extensive threads over on SwedeSpeed about the BluePower unit for Volvos, including links to ipd research/demonstration videos.

xcbody
09-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Having trouble with my sat nav dvd player at the moment, got a few things to try before I chuck it out. If I cant solve the issue I will be ordering one of those in dash units.

Chilled Man
09-28-2009, 02:14 PM
ehhh poopy

go aftermarket :D

Less money better stuff :D

n00bkiller944
09-28-2009, 02:30 PM
ehhh poopy

You and I are on the same page on that one brothaaaaa... How do you like your Pioneer??

Chilled Man
09-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Changed it out for the JVC in my 98R lol

It didnt have sepearte outputs for the sub wich is a seperate amp so I swapped them out quick :D

I really like my pioneer tho so its going in the wifes C70 :D

n00bkiller944
09-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Are you going to be putting a sub in the XC?

Chilled Man
09-28-2009, 06:47 PM
who me yeah I have one of those skinny12" subs from rockfordfosgate 500watt

xcbody
09-29-2009, 07:08 AM
ehhh poopy

Poopy? do you have one?
What do you have?
Isnt the bluemotion unit aftermarket? (not available from volvo):D

n00bkiller944
09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
^^^Mines bigger :)

Chilled Man
09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Poopy? do you have one?
What do you have?
Isnt the bluemotion unit aftermarket? (not available from volvo):D

I have seen one in opertion and not impressed what so ever.

That is the reason I always go aftermarket I think the volvo stereo system is ehh at best even the R stuff is ok.

I need something to play DVDs or connects to a IPOD or to a USB jump drive.

if it has that then I will stick with the stock stuff but since every is gaga over the stock stuff I can sell it and pay for over 1/2 to 3/4 of the new stuff :D

cbj
09-29-2009, 06:11 PM
The capability of the system is pretty cool (not say funktionality). Why Volvo could hot have upgraded their cars with something like that is strange.

Chilled Man
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Why doesnt every car manufacture just leave a double din spot open and let you pick the stereo or just put in a aftermarket head in every stock car ?

billr99
09-30-2009, 04:44 AM
Why doesnt every car manufacture just leave a double din spot open and let you pick the stereo or just put in a aftermarket head in every stock car ?

They use to do that with even a basic AM radio as an option. The first time I ever saw a reasonably decent radio standard was in the '76 Honda Accord. I recall it was a big deal that an OEM actually put an AM/FM radio in as standard equipment. At the time I worked for an outfit that dealt with the GM Tech Centre quite a bit and those guys were crying buckets about how Honda had thrown a wrench into that particular part of GM's profit margin.

So now it is established that the inclusion of a reasonably decent sound system is expected by customers. Even the cheapest models from folks like Kia or Hyundai have something reasonable. Plus it doesn't hurt the profit line that they build a big price for it into the retail price even though it costs next to nothing per unit if you put the same one in every car you build.

The interesting question is how many stock systems end up in the bin because they are pulled and replaced by systems that a segment of the market would prefer? And further don't look at that at the point of initial purchase but through the life of the car.

Cheers,

Bill

Chilled Man
09-30-2009, 05:31 AM
? As soon as I get a car to drive for personal use the stock system gets removed before I start driving it

xcbody
09-30-2009, 09:26 AM
I have seen one in opertion and not impressed what so ever.

That is the reason I always go aftermarket I think the volvo stereo system is ehh at best even the R stuff is ok.

I need something to play DVDs or connects to a IPOD or to a USB jump drive.

if it has that then I will stick with the stock stuff but since every is gaga over the stock stuff I can sell it and pay for over 1/2 to 3/4 of the new stuff :D

I agree, I would love to add on a reverse camera, IPOD, DVD or at least have USB access. I dont want to loose the functionality of the stock stuff. The IMIV seems to be a good device but I have to sacrifice the TV:(. My Stock DVD has given up and I have sourced a 2006 unit for 200 euro, It will need to be programmed to the car (another 100 euro). I should go aftermarket but I just like to keep things original (Gaga)[happy]. My only fear is how long will it last before I am searching for a used but good DVD unit again. Anyway I live in hope:)

Chilled Man
09-30-2009, 11:23 AM
I havnt lost use of the stock stuff ?

If I wanted to spend extra sub $100 I coudl even use my steering wheel controls but I never used them in the first place so it doesnt matter to me.

other then that ?

xcbody
09-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Replacing the HU with an in dash system means that the sat nav screen (that rises out of the top of the dash board) is of no use anymore as there s no longer any signal going to it.
The IMVI solution sacrifices an input to the HU. In my case that would be a TV input, loosing my TV option. The navigation is redirected through a TV channel, the IPOD is sent through another channel and the auxillary is sent through another. (TV0, TV1, TV2)
Thats what I mean functionality is lost - Turn on the TV to view sat nav, Ipod or auxillary, just not the TV cause its gone!
I would settle for the IMIV to operate on the source control of the HU, Then at least it would appear logical - use the source button to seect the source.

Chilled Man
09-30-2009, 12:52 PM
ohhhh not all of us have NAV I would rather use a tomtom :D uptodate and much easier to use lol

n00bkiller944
10-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Honestly, my XC doesn't even know the words you just used... BASIC PACKAGE FTW but I have heated seats :) lol

Defender
10-01-2009, 07:23 AM
I have the Volvo sat nav and Volvo phone systems but this Bluepower unit has a Bluetooth phone rather than having to insert a sim card into it and the sat nav is touch screen which I recon would would be far more user friendly than the stock unit plus it has a proper Volvo style fascia which would make it look genuine. What I was wondering is if anybody had any experience of these units or anything else they produce and if the experience was good or bad.

xcbody
10-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Sorry, didnt mean to divert the attention from the topic. I wuld also like to know how these units perform[thumbup]

dcandmc
10-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I have the Volvo sat nav and Volvo phone systems but this Bluepower unit has a Bluetooth phone rather than having to insert a sim card into it and the sat nav is touch screen which I recon would would be far more user friendly than the stock unit plus it has a proper Volvo style fascia which would make it look genuine. What I was wondering is if anybody had any experience of these units or anything else they produce and if the experience was good or bad.

Did you look for the thread at SwedeSpeed that has links to the IPD test videos, as I suggested? I think if you read the thread and watch the videos, many of your questions will be answered.

Defender
10-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Had a look at those videos seems to look good alright might just take the plunge.

Art
10-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Just as a heads up, there is another thread started by a SS member who popped a Bluepower unit into his S60R. It might be helpful to read about his thoughts on the installation.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=125846

pags
10-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I talked to IPD a few weeks ago about this Bluepower unit. They have been approached several times by the company that makes them and after testing IPD says that there are a few glitches that they wanted worked out before committing to selling them here in the USA. They didn't hear from the manufacturer after that until recently, so the gentleman I spoke to seems to think that they may have fixed some of the issues and testing will resume at IPD. Just thought I'd share.