PDA

View Full Version : Intermitent Front end scraping noise

Weezer
09-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I've got a 2002 XC70 and there is an occassional scraping sound coming from the front undercarriage. It typically happens when turning to the right, but only once or twice a day. It sounds a little like a rasp being dragged across the edge of a piece of sheetmetal. Any thoughts on what to look for?

Thanks!

RockitShip
09-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Check your brakes "splash shields" they get bent and can scrape when turning.
My drivers side was doing this... I was able to pull on it from behind... fixed it.

BillAileo
09-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Ditto to what RockitShip said.

whe3
09-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Am I the only person who thinks it's a d**n shame that Volvo put this XC 70 product out there for which this problem exists, and appears to be well known, along with the suggested DIY solution?

Is the price of the XC 70 high enough that we Volvo fans should not have to put up with such flaws? Am I off base in thnking that car quality means that such problems do not exist-- or, once found, are addressed with a recall or patch (new part) when the car is nest serviced? This problem makes me sad....

BillAileo
09-21-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't think it is unusual for dust shields on cars to cause such a problem if they get bent. I wouldn't call this issue a fault.

skibo
09-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I had a similar noise recently, and when I changed pads and disks I found that one of the dust shields had cracked, causing the top 1/3 to be unsupported. It was Saturday night before a 10 hour trip the next day, so I cobbled something up out of a large washer to keep it in place.

kamiar
09-21-2009, 06:47 PM
My Lexus had this once, sometimes when yo go to shops for break job or suspension works, they bend it with pliers trying to fix something else....

Andrew_72
09-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Could also be the front muffler rubbing on the prop shaft. You'll see a rub mark on the prop shaft if this is happening. See resources section for a PDF on the issue.