PDA

View Full Version : Pcv ptc

howardc64
09-18-2009, 07:45 AM
01 V70 T5 115k miles

I have a oil leak around the PTC on the fresh air pipe just before the turbo. Haven't taken it out to see where the leak is. Anyone know the common leak points? Maybe where the PTC connects to the fresh air pipe?

Going to take the pipe off and clean the PTC. Search and found a few directions on the pre 01s and everything looks similar.

Car ran synthetic since my ownership at 46k miles. Oil changed every 5-6k miles. PCV never been done. Anyone know if PCV system is commonly clogged at 115k miles on these cars? Seems like the pre 01s clog over 100k and blow the rear main seal soon after. I don't yet have any other noticeable symptoms of a clogged PCV "yet".

ETM replaced at 90k and Volvo cleaned the crank case ventilation. I kinda doubt they pulled the intake manifold and replaced the oil trap etc..., probably just blew air through a few hoses to keep it clean.

Here is the pic, wife's 01 XC70 is perfectly clean here.

sjonnie
09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
There shouldn't be oil around the PTC, if there is then there is a good chance that the oil drain from the flame trap is clogged causing oil to build up inside the flame trap. It fills up with hardened oil over time, something like this

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs157.snc1/5856_1222340877802_1207353087_30663269_6967161_n.j pg

Eventually the oil will clog the PCV hose itself and then your PCV system will stop functioning. You need to remove the flame trap to clear all that sludge out. I also washed out the flame trap and PCV vacuum hose with kerosene and replaced the small hoses from the flame trap to the crank case. Attached is also a great description of the volvo PCV system. If you're going to do it you need to take the intake manifold off. To put everything back you'll need new intake, throttle body and thermostat gaskets, fuel injector O-rings may also need replacing.

howardc64
09-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Took the fresh air pipe off and the PTC and PCV lines are all clear. I'll have to watch and see why there is a leak around here. There are 3 lines here. One connect to PTC is about 1/2" ID, 2 small lines connect to the pipe itself and are are about 1/4" ID and 3/16" ID. All these pipes and their connectors were clear.

On the other hand, its now kinda clear why a lot of the turbos have oil dripping from the bottom and why when you take off the charged air pipe (the one that runs over the top of the engine) off, you see oil at the connection to the turbo's output

Basically, PCV lines dumps the oily crankcase vapor into the fresh air pipe just before the turbo. The hard plastic fresh air pipe is clamped to the turbo without a gasket. Oily vapor accumulates into oil and seeps through. I had a little spot of oily gunk right at the bottom of the pipe at this connection due to gravity. Furthermore, this oily vapor get through the turbo and travel throughout the charged air pipe, intercooler, pipe feeding the ETM, ETM, and intake manifold. I guess gravity must be the cause for some accumulation on the connection between charged air pipe and the turbo output.

To stop the leak on the bottom of the turbo, I read a Volvo tech saying they cut bicycle tubes for DIY gasket. It all makes sense now :)

bw77
11-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Howardc64 - were you able to stop the oil leak around the ptc?

I see an oil leak on mine with 108K miles.

howardc64
11-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Howardc64 - were you able to stop the oil leak around the ptc?

I see an oil leak on mine with 108K miles.

Didn't figure this out yet and the 01 V70 T5 still has a film of oil around the PTC at 123k miles. My 01 V70XC has some oil leak around the PTC also at 100k miles. Most be a common thing at higher mileage.

I think the PTC is just be a tube with a heating element inside. So all I can reason is maybe the banjo bolt connection (the one near the turbo) + thin inner diameter tube connects to the banjo bolt. I plan on trying to cleaning that next.