PDA

View Full Version : Miles vs. Age: verge of purchase

weeble
09-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Hello! I'm about ready to buy my first XC. Great resource you've all built up here - thanks for that.

I'm looking at an 06 with about 45,000 miles and an 05 with about 22,000 miles. The 06 is a bit better equipped, though with things I don't care about like booster seats and park assist. Both are priced about the same.

I'm leaning toward the 06 as it has a year of factory warranty left and I like the appearance a bit more. Combing through here, though, I've started to question that and think I might be better off with fewer miles so I can do things like establish a tranny flush routine early on.

I know there's no silver bullet answer for this question, but I'd appreciate your opinions. I'm on the 'buy a car every decade' program and I'm not up on current thinking on a lot of topics, and while I can turn own my wrench most of my car knowledge is specific to mid-90's Saabs (goodbye awesome 900!).

BIGGUYNE
09-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Check with JRL. Do what he says.

JRL
09-11-2009, 06:01 PM
The price should not be the same
The 05 should STILL be cheaper by at least $2000+ enough that you can buy a warranty.
You can never substitute miles, once they're gone they never come back!

Go for the 05 and buy a warranty, work them on price.
Otherwise, except for "instant traction" Haldex programming they're the exact same car