PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing Shimmy/Vibration in Driveline...

javaxc70
09-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I have been experiencing a shimmy/vibration in my 2001 xc70 with 180K on it (new transmission at 160K). At all speeds the car seems like it has a slight shimmy/shake but it most prominent between 20-30 mph and I feel it mostly in my butt/and wheel well area. I recently replaced both passenger and driver side cv axles, and the car has had a bevel gear replaced in the past year. I will also sometimes get a slight low growl/harmonic vibration when slightly depress the accelerator at speeds of 35-60 mph but disappears once up to speed. This has been going on for some time but appears to be getting worse. Could it be a bad prop shaft front cv joint? As far as I know the driveshaft is original on the car and has not been balanced since I have owned it. The dealer did recommend repacking the front cv joint of the driveshaft when I had one of the axles replaced. Thanks in advance for the help! :) Edit: I went underneath and tried to rotate driveshaft when vehicle was off; I was able to move it and get a metal on metal sound by rotating about the axis with car in park...

JRL
09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Probably needs a driveshaft
(Balancing does not help, the U joint(s) are probably shot)

DYZ
09-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Check the simply thing first. Maybe it's from the tire? Make sure they are balanced.

DYZ

javaxc70
09-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I will check the tires just to be sure, but they only have 3K on them. I most likely will drop the prop shaft and go FWD for awhile until I decide whether to put more money into the AWD. In the last two years I have had the bevel gear and VC go on me ... might be time to avoid the whole mess and go FWD. I have yet to use the AWD on this car and will most likely have no need for it. Thanks for the help!

javaxc70
09-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Took off the driveshaft to see if it took away problems... well it drives like it should. Seemed a little more peppy around town and off the line; I am just happy the ride quality is back to what it should be. Looks like this XC is going to be FWD for awhile!