PDA

View Full Version : Self tightening lug bolts!

psaboic
09-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Had this issuehappen before and I hope someone can shed some light on it for me. The lug bolts on the wife's XC-70 seem to self tighten (no kidding)

Each time I rotate the tires, I use a torque wrench to torque the lbolts to 90 Ft-lbs (dealer and tire shops told me this was the correct torque) Anyway, each time I go to rotate the tires 5000 miles later, you need a breaker bar and a TON of force to get them loose.

I rotated the tires about 1500 miles ago and this weekend decided to get new tires for the car as the old ones were shot. Long story short, the tire dealer almost couldn't get the bolts broke loose. When they finally did it took two guys, plus a 16" wrench with another 24" cheater bar on it to break them loose. They estimated it took around 200-250 Ft-lbs to break them loose. This is not on just one but all 4 wheels!

I grease the threads and shoulders of the bolts each time I rotate tires, but this is getting ridiculous. I know the Mrs. could never break them loose if she had too. HELP!

Aviator
09-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Torque values increase with heat......chances are you went some distance to get to the tire shop? That's why you always torque everything cold!! As for the guys removing the bolts......have they not heard of that great invention of the twentieth century......the IMPACT GUN????????

Dave.

Jeremy
09-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Had this issuehappen before and I hope someone can shed some light on it for me. The lug bolts on the wife's XC-70 seem to self tighten (no kidding)

Each time I rotate the tires, I use a torque wrench to torque the lbolts to 90 Ft-lbs (dealer and tire shops told me this was the correct torque) Anyway, each time I go to rotate the tires 5000 miles later, you need a breaker bar and a TON of force to get them loose.

I rotated the tires about 1500 miles ago and this weekend decided to get new tires for the car as the old ones were shot. Long story short, the tire dealer almost couldn't get the bolts broke loose. When they finally did it took two guys, plus a 16" wrench with another 24" cheater bar on it to break them loose. They estimated it took around 200-250 Ft-lbs to break them loose. This is not on just one but all 4 wheels!

I grease the threads and shoulders of the bolts each time I rotate tires, but this is getting ridiculous. I know the Mrs. could never break them loose if she had too. HELP!

Same issue, same concern. Could I get the wheel off on the side of the road??? Haven't tried lube on the bolts.

I always torque to 85-90 ft lbs on a cols wheel and still have these issues.

Jeremy

Aviator
09-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Torque increases with heat.....perfectly normal situation. If you lower the cold torque setting to avoid having to fight the bolts when they are hot, then the bolts are more likely to loosen off on you when cold and then you've got the problem of loose wheels which will cause all sorts of nasty issues.

Dave.

BillAileo
09-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Unless you have both "wet" and "dry" torque settings, by greasing the threads you are probably creating a somewhat higher effective torque than you intend.

psaboic
09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I would buy the torque increasing with heat, but at least twice I have rotated the tires after they have been sitting overnight (so the wheels and bolts are cold) and then the next time I would go to rotate them, the car has again been sitting overnight and breaking the bolts loose damn near causes a major hernia!

RockitShip
09-07-2009, 11:43 PM
I always use neverseize paste on my lugnuts/bolts specifically for this reason.
[thumbup]

Be careful of what your using to "grease" your threads with... motor oil or WD-40 is NOT
the same as using neverseize paste and will dry up very quickly.

I understand what Bill is talking about, although in this application I don't believe it's an issue
as a "wet torque" value would really affect tighter threads with tighter tolerances
as seen in other applications (engine internals, etc.).

kain
09-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Is there a possibility of the dissimilar metals galvanizing causing more friction?

Just a thought.

jmoser
09-08-2009, 01:17 PM

HELP!

It would have to be way way out of whack but have you checked the calibration on your torque wrench? Maybe borrow another and compare just for a reality check?

wsp310
09-09-2009, 06:16 AM
When taking the lug nuts off on the side of the road or anytime when not using impact gun, use the supplied lug wrench, set it on the bolt at the 9:00 o'clock position and just step on it. I find numerous folks on the side of the road waiting for help with nothing more wrong than a flat tire. It only takes a few minutes to change a tire and by stepping on the lug wrench, you don't run the risk of busting your knuckles or something else. :eek: Sometimes you many need to bounce a little just to break it free. Many are women who have never been taught how to change a flat tire. I have seen many a lady who would have no trouble generating 200+ ftlbs of torque on a wrench by stepping on it :o

Once you get it free, you can take it off without any trouble. If they are rusty on the side of the road and you have nothing else, a little oil dripped off of the dip stick will help putting them back on. Of course for some, finding the dip stick is another matter all together.

There is no reason why a licensed driver does not know how to change a tire or at least know to look in the book. Almost every car now has instructions right next to the spare tire. They even make the instructions to look like cartoons! Changing tires, checking the fluids and changing a bulb should be part of the driver's test. All can affect driving safety. [thumbup]

mbsl98
09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Did the P2 torque specs change over the 2001-2007 run? I belive that our '07 was spec'd at 101 pounds for wheel torque. Interesting to note that our new '09 specs only 65#.

sjonnie
09-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I find numerous folks on the side of the road waiting for help with nothing more wrong than a flat tire.
If on the interstate you should not change a tire without a department of transport and/or police vehicle present, it's way too dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_1B2b8wXUE&feature=related