PDA

View Full Version : interested in a 2003 xc70

ashevilleian
09-01-2009, 07:28 AM
hello, i'm new here and am interested in a 2003 xc70 at a local dealership. it appears to be in excellent condition inside and out with only 58k miles on it. Is there anything i need to know about before i take the plunge? My other options are newer outbacks, but i much prefer the style and size of the xc70.

Right now i have a 2000 vw passat 1.8 turbo. it's a very practical and efficient car, but i would like awd. One major thing i don't like about the VW is the expensive repairs, will it be the same for the volvo? Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

so what would you do? I can get an '03 xc70 with 58k miles or an '05 outback 2.5i with 48k miles. both are $15,000

skibo
09-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Welcome.

I think the consensus is that '03 and later are better than '01/'02 models.

Repairs at the dealer are expensive.

Some things fail earlier than you'd expect. ( Especially coming from a Honda, in my case. )

If repair cost is a major issue for you, I think the Subaru would be the better choice.

Others may disagree.

gary
09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I have an '03 with just over 78K miles on it. Bought it new in Feb 2003. I've been very pleased with it and have experienced no major mechanical problems to speak of other than I had to replace a rear wheel bearing at about 40K miles and I just replaced the other rear wheel bearing about 3K miles ago. You'll find quite a few on the forum that have had to replace wheel bearings, so I would check those out for sure. Motor mounts are another thing to check - they seem to be another weak component. And then I would also ensure the suspension is pretty solid.

Mine has been dealer maintained to date, and yes, it is a little pricey, but I've not had any bad dealer experiences, so I just keep going back. (it's a convenience thing for me as well.)

Generally speaking, I think the '03 is a pretty solid ride from a mechanical standpoint. If the one you are looking at has been properly maintained, it should be in pretty good good shape.

I've been so pleased with my '03 that a couple of years ago we bought an '07 to park next to it. If it were me, I'd take the Volvo over the Subaru anyday, just based on styling alone.

Forkster
09-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Also, check with forum member JRL - he sells used Volvo's by the bucketloads. Now is a good time to get a lease-back as they are all coming in from the auction blocks.

$15,000 for an 03 sounds expensive - is it a CPO with warranty?

WRT repairs, all newer cars now are expensive to repair, regardless if its a Subie, Honda, or a Chev. If you're a little handy with a wrench, the Volvo XC70 is a snap to work on with a lot of the regular maintenance items and other components easy to replace. They are also much better designed for maintenance work than any domestic vehicle I've seen the last 30 years.

If you go ahead with this 03, ask them to:
a) Flush the tranny, power steering, and brake fluids or it has been done the last year
b) Check the sway-bar end links front and rear, replace if necessary
c) Check and replace the top engine, and lower transmission mount