PDA

View Full Version : Is Bevel Gear replacement a do-it-yourself kind of job?

gibbons
08-30-2009, 07:36 AM
I lost a rear wheel bearing at about 55K miles, so when I heard a "wah-wah-wah" from the front part of the car, I assumed maybe I lost a front wheel bearing at 75K miles. So I replaced them both. I went for a test drive, and wah-wah-wah still.

My bevel gear has never leaked a drop, so I have never checked it. Probably dumb.... Do these things fail if they still have fluid in them? If it's the angle gear, and I have to get a new one, is it something that can be installed without special tools?

Durning a search, I saw that someone just got one at Erie Volvo, but I forgot to see if that thread was in the 2001-2007 forum. Any current cost guesses before I call the dealer?

DYZ
08-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Do the simple check first. Make sure it is not the tire that's making the noise. I also had the wah-wah-wah noise and assumed it's the wheel bearings. Well, after replacing the front two first and then the rear two, the noise is still there. I put on the spare tire on the corner that seems to give out the noise. Wow, noise is gone!!! So, it turned out to be a bad tire for me.

DYZ

gibbons
08-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, but it was doing it with my snow tire set, too :mad:

javaxc70
08-30-2009, 09:59 AM
It is possible to replace the angle gear yourself. I accomplished this job on my 2001 and it took about 6 hours on a lift with a few snags along the way. The two hardest parts were getting the exhaust out of the way, and maneuvering the old angle gear out and putting the new one in. I got my angle gear from Erie Vovo and put it in 4 or 5 months ago and it is still running strong! Good Luck! :D The price of the gear will cost you 500-600 if I remember correctly.

gibbons
08-30-2009, 03:45 PM
That installation doesn't sound fun. But I have a 4-post lift in my garage so I can take my time.

I told my wife the Volvo needs a little more money. After having had Honda and Subarus, she asked if I thought it was kinda repair intensive. Yeah, I guess so.

billy780
08-31-2009, 05:34 AM
I have done several of these and they are not tough, takes 2-4 hours depending on what wants to stick and not come loose.
They are around 500 from erie and around 2k at volvo.
Not tough if you have the tools.

Chilled Man
08-31-2009, 06:00 AM
Hardest part will be the top two bolts on the angle gear.

Those are a PIA with the turbo inplace.

gibbons
08-31-2009, 10:00 AM
How often do these fail if they have had oil in them? I guessed it was the bearings once for $300, I don't want to make another $500 wrong guess. Does the output yoke move around or something like that? My lift is a 4 post, so it lifts the car by the wheels. I guess a 2 post is needed so that the drivetrain can spin to identify the noise(?)

I just checked with Borton Volvo, where I order my parts from. They said $1450 for a rebuild. How does Erie do $500?

sjonnie
08-31-2009, 10:36 AM
I just checked with Borton Volvo, where I order my parts from. They said $1450 for a rebuild. How does Erie do $500?

They sell you a used part from a wrecked volvo (www.car-part.com). Have you also considered that the noise might be the intermediate bearing on the propellor-shaft?

kamiar
08-31-2009, 11:23 AM
They sell you a used part from a wrecked volvo (www.car-part.com). Have you also considered that the noise might be the intermediate bearing on the propellor-shaft?

Or the axle carrier bearing!

gibbons
08-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Come on, you're not ruining my day yet, how about a differential carrier bearing, that could be worse :D

shawn_75
09-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I did it, it isn't too bad. Hardest part for me was getting the driveshaft out, mostly because I didn't have allen wrenches with socket drives. If you do decide to do it, I suggest replacing the splined collar between the tranny and the angle gear. I did not do this and wish that I did. Someone else posted about this after I did mine but they didn't give any part numbers. I've always had sort of a clunk between forward and reverse and I suspect that this is the culprit.

Shawn