PDA

View Full Version : Rim Cleaner

rpwils
08-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Does anyone know what Volvo recommends for cleaning the rims on the xc60

mbsl98
08-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Don't now what they recommend, other than a standard after market product, but the "products" are all pretty harsh cleaners. I find it best to put a coat of wax on the wheels once a year or so, and then they easily clean up with just regular car wash soap. The very best answer for me is to swap pads for Akebono ceramics, which have a very nice balance of stopping power, life, no dirt at all, etc. The only negative is tossing out perfectly usable factory pads the first time, so I usually live with cleaning for a while because of being cheap. with our '09 XC70, it came with 60k Volvo scheduled maintenance free, and 60k Volvo Wear and Tear, which is a pretty limited array of replacements due to normal wear, but includes pads and rotors (but only if it needs new rotors :(( ). With this car, I am now really torn about tossing the factory pads, versus a probability of getting a new set of pads and rotors down the road for "free". Big thing with brake pad dust is to get if off pretty frequently, as it is highly caustic to the wheel finish, as well as becoming baked on with braking heat over time.

tgwillard
08-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I try to keep the rims clean on both my XC70 and my wife's S80, except during the winter months when the brake dust builds up. But in the spring the rims clean up very nicely.

RockitShip
09-01-2009, 02:49 AM
I use any car wash soap utilizing a magic eraser to get the hard grime... or you could use something stronger such as Simple Green. Follow up with your wax of choice... I prefer a synthetic polymer type of wax such as Klasse or Liquid Glass, etc., for durability and long wear.

Doing this will keep them cleaner, as well as making it easier to clean and harder for the dirt, and brake dust to bake on.

Au_xc70_03
09-03-2009, 11:41 PM
i have used the simple green to clean the inside of my wheels along with sos pad. Then i did two coats of wheel wax inside and outside. The product make cleaning the wheels next 10times easier to clean.

mbsl98
09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
be very careful using Simple Green. It works fine so long as you get it washed off quickly. However, it has the cpaqpbility of etching the wheels if you spray it on and leave it for a while - do one wheel at a time and it is fine.

mbsl98
09-10-2009, 08:28 AM
"capability" - guess it is still early