PDA

View Full Version : How to change front wheel bearing/hub

santon
08-25-2009, 05:33 AM
Looked around cant find it, any write ups?

wsp310
08-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Morning,

Go to the Resouces link at the top of the page, then the top "how to guides". You will then scroll down about 1/3 to 1/2 way down and find the pdf page with pictures and torque settings for putting it all back together. There is talk about a external torx #14 bolt heads on the bearing but mine have a 18mm bolt head. There is also a tool to hold down the lower control arm but you don't need it.

Real easy to do and my axle was free and well lubricated once I pulled the 14mm nut off the end. Send a note if you want pic's. Mine is apart now waiting for a front right axle from FCP.[thumbup]

Here's the link. http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/xc_wheel_bearing_service_and_repair.pdf

sjonnie
08-25-2009, 06:32 AM
With vehicle on ground, pop off center cap and loosen axle bolt, push axle in 1-2 inches. Loosen wheel nuts.
Raise vehicle, remove wheel, caliper & ABS sensor.
Release steering linkage from knuckle.
Undo ball joint, push pull or otherwise move the control arm down and away from the steering knuckle being careful not to damage ball joint boot.
Remove axle from hub, support axle to prevent damage to CV joints.
Turn hub sideways and undo hub bolts - might be E14 bolts.
Install new hub & new bolts, cross tighten to 20Nm, then 45Nm, then + 60 degrees
Reassemble, use new axle bolt, 35Nm + 90 degrees.

I couldn't get the hub off without undoing the strut bolts, they are freakin' tight (105Nm + 90 degrees!) (21mm nut also), removing the knuckle from the strut and then lifting the ball joint out of the control arm (there is some funky tensioning strap VADIS recommends to pull down the control arms). If you undo these you are changing your camber setting, but it's not so adjustable on these cars anyway, I just reinstalled with the strut in the middle of the two possible camber extremes, works fine.

Also, if your axles are old watch out for the inner CV joint, it may start throwing grease after this procedure - both mine did, I guess they're just not used to being compressed after so long :( Maybe order new clamps and install as a preventative measure, yeah wish I'd done that?