PDA

View Full Version : Headlight wiper motor disconnect

pauldunlop22
08-23-2009, 06:17 PM
I have a 2002 XC low mileage (65,000 mi). My right headlight wiper motor has failed. The cost of replacement at the shop is over $500 in Canada, so I decided to forget about that repair for now. But now my front windshield washer has stopped working. They share the same circuit and fuse which is now blown. Does anyone know a simple way to disconnect the right head light wiper motor so that I can still have the use of my windshield washer. Also, has anyone replaced a head light wiper motor? Is it a difficult install? Thanks for any help you may offer..paul

Chilled Man
08-23-2009, 09:35 PM
yeah just unplug it :D

I can get a pic of the plut and such for you tomorrow :D

I have some used ones from My 01XC if you want them $10 + shipping for both

not sure if they work but I removed both of mine since I will never use them

sargent
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
my '04 had the same problem so i simpy disconnected the motor. Like you i was not prepared to pay the $500 for the part only. I discovered Erie Vo-Vo out of new york who specializes in reconditioned parts for volvos. you can find a number of their parts listed on ebay motors. I purchased a reconditioned wiper motor for $60 US plus S&H, all told it was about $120. Here is the website if you are interested or do a search on ebay motors for the specific part. i have had mine installed for over a year and no issues.

http://www.erievovo.com/about.html

Hope this helps.

pauldunlop22
08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your helpful reply. Did you do the work yourself? If so what were the steps to get at the motor and replace it?

sargent
08-24-2009, 09:00 PM
No, i had my mechanic do the work. it involved taking the front bumper off and he was only going to charge me 1.5hrs labor. it made more sense for him to rather than me fumbling around with it. if your pretty handy im sure it's relatively easy.

I like my car too much for me to do the work.

Cheers.

pauldunlop22
08-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Thank you for your reply. I think that unplugging it is the simplest option for me at this time. "Chilled" or "Sargent" , if you know the easy way to unplug the wiper motor short of removing the bumper I would appreciate it.

slalomskier
08-25-2009, 03:57 AM
You do not need to remove the bumper. I will take pictures of the connector today as i did the same exact thing on my car.

pauldunlop22
08-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone for you information. I have replaced the fuse but it is just a matter of time before it blows again because the wiper motor is failing and occasionally moves. I would like to see any pictures installation method.

smith401
07-17-2010, 10:42 PM
I'd like to disconnect my motors too. Does anyone have a photo of the harness that needs to be disconnected?

rodjennings
04-11-2011, 07:24 AM
There's a BAD Swede kit to replace the wiper motor with high-pressure, heated washers - dual-stream and adjustable. Works much better! Uses the existing circuit - intermitent can be used when the snow starts to sitck and pile up. It only heats when you activate the original wiper-motor/wash system so, no excess draw.