PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Temperature Sensor

howardc64
08-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi Gang:

01 XC70 85k miles.

Have intermittent outside temperature reading issues. Seems to have occurred when the weather got warmer here but not sure since it is fairly intermittent.

Called dealer for parts and found there are 2 outside sensors, one in each side mirror. Used my BSR PPC Volvo code reader and got no codes related to ambient sensor.

Have any ideas on how I can isolate which side is failing? As luck would have it, the parts are different for each side. Maybe I have to wait until it fails more frequently :(

BillAileo
08-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I could be wrong on this, but after having a nasty encounter with a deer several years ago I was told that the ambient temperature sensor on US spec cars was in the passenger side rear view mirror and that there was no temperature sensor in the driver side mirror. Is it possible that the two sensors have to do with left hand versus right drive models? I'm just guessing. Or perhaps these are position sensors for automatic mirror adjustments and not the temperature?

Canuck
08-07-2009, 12:41 PM
On a somewhat related note - my temperature sensor consistently reports a temperature 3-4 degrees celsius above the actual air temp. I don't really care one way or another but I'm curious if this happens to anyone else?

howardc64
08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I could be wrong on this, but after having a nasty encounter with a deer several years ago I was told that the ambient temperature sensor on US spec cars was in the passenger side rear view mirror and that there was no temperature sensor in the driver side mirror. Is it possible that the two sensors have to do with left hand versus right drive models? I'm just guessing. Or perhaps these are position sensors for automatic mirror adjustments and not the temperature?

Yes, everywhere I read also suggest only on the passenger side mirror. But the volvo parts guys got my VIN and said the diagram shows there is one inside both the right and left side mirrors.

I guess I'll wait for the next failure and maybe get a heat gun/ice pack out to see if I can figure out which side is the problem.

Willy
08-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the car has 2 sensors for (outside) temperature reading,
one for the airco and one for the DIM display. The one for the DIM would be located at the passenger side.
Willy

Willy
08-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I just took a quick look at the wiring diagrams, the outside temperature sensor (item 7/11)
is located in the outside mirror at the passenger side.
Willy

howardc64
08-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I just took a quick look at the wiring diagrams, the outside temperature sensor (item 7/11)
is located in the outside mirror at the passenger side.
Willy

Thanks Willy, my VADIS says that too. I'll go ahead and order that for replacement.

Chilled Man
08-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Passenger side.

Be carefull since it might also be the passenger side door moduale that is going bad.

Have had that happen in all the 01/02 cars I have seen or family owns where the door module goes bad .

01V70XC
02V70XC
01V70T5
01V70T5
02V70

howardc64
08-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Passenger side.

Be carefull since it might also be the passenger side door moduale that is going bad.

Have had that happen in all the 01/02 cars I have seen or family owns where the door module goes bad .

01V70XC
02V70XC
01V70T5
01V70T5
02V70

Interesting. I pulled the codes with my BSR Volvo code reader and got the following

DDM-0049

Reading up on VADIS shows DDM is the drive side control module internal fault. However, everything on the driver door works. Windows power up and down, mirrors move, central lock and child lock all works.

I don't have a PDM code (passenger door module)

Not sure the DDM code is related because the ambient temperature sensor is connected to the PDM.

Reading more on VADIS, I thought I clarify some info on the ambient temperature sensors discussed earlier. VADIS says

- Right hand mirror contains ambient temp sensor for the DIM. This is true for both LH and RH drive cars
- Left hand mirror contains ambient temp sensor for the ECM

Willy
08-08-2009, 02:34 AM
If no problem(s) can be found, perhaps it is worthwhile to take a close look at the wiring harness,
especially where it leaves the door (think rear hatch problems).
Willy

Chilled Man
08-08-2009, 09:49 AM
what happens is the sensor is first to go then you will hear a clicking wich is the door lock acutaltor going crazy then finaly nothing works on the door

89t295k
01-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Dang, that is close to what happened to mine. I Disconnected the battery and hooked it back up to find my pass door was clicking like mad....no window, door lock or temp sensor. I just wound up unhooking the swicth so as no to have a dead battery in the morning. Since this is an old post I'll do some more searching on the fix for this modual issue.

Ocean Racer
01-24-2011, 03:20 PM
This is an interesting thread.
My Volvo mechanic told me the temp sensor is located behind the front bumper.
I have not heard of this one in the mirror?

BillAileo
01-24-2011, 03:37 PM
I know there is an ambient temperature sensor within the passenger door mirror on the '05 S80 and I believe the set up is the same on our 03 XC70. My son had a pre-P2 V70 and his sensor was behind the front bumper.

Ocean Racer
01-24-2011, 03:43 PM
This is crazy, I had no idea it would be in the mirror! wowee :)

jdp6000
02-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Mine just went. Its minus 5 out but the readout under the speedo shows plus 33 degrees celcius. I ordered a new one. I though there was only one on a 03 XC70 and it was in the driver side mirror.

How do I get at it? Do I have to remove the entire mirror assembly? Or can I take the glass out somehow?

Jim

jdp6000
02-26-2011, 01:29 PM
I have answered my own question.

On the 2003 XC70 there is a sensor in each mirror. I believe the driver side communicates with the ECM and the passenger side communicates with the gauge in the speedo. They sit in the elbow of the mirror. The mirror assemble has to come off. If you look underneath you can see its a separate piece that is snapped in. Use a screw drive to pry it out from the point closest to the door. The two white wires run to the harness connector behind the door panel. So the panel must come off.

You need to remove the two wire pins from the connector. To do this you need to unsnap the hold clamp on the connector. From the otherside you can see the two pins in the middle row. By inserting a paper clip in to the pin holes on the upper row you can release the pins. The new connector comes with the wire and pins.

Its an easy job.

Jim

proton
10-08-2011, 07:45 AM
I believe the driver
side communicates with the ECM and the passenger side communicates with the gauge in the speedo.

somebody can confirm that.

I have the ambient temperature code on. The dash reading seem OK but the engine is reading between 10deg less and -40C for some period of time. By the way, someone have part numbers for them please.