PDA

View Full Version : Tires or Transmission?

wsp310
08-07-2009, 07:35 AM
I've had a 2002 XC with 64k miles for about a month now. The tires have plenty of tread left but feel like they are cupped. There is a howling noise once the car gets moving and I think it's coming from the tires, as the noise increases with the speed. I'd like to put the car on stands with all the tires off the ground and let it run in drive for a bit to make sure the noise is from the tires and not somewhere in the drive line.

Is it ok to run it with the tires off the ground and will it be ok on the AWD? I'm not looking at running it for any extended period of time and it will be properly securred so it does not launch off the stands. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on tires yet if I need to focus on the driveline.

Can I rotate the tires? Other than the noise for the time being, if it's the tires, can I run on them till winter and put new ones on then? Just hate to toss tires with lots of tread left.

Thanks,

John
Green Bay

wsp310
08-07-2009, 07:36 AM
And yes, my first Volvo and my first post!

gibbons
08-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Check the bearings, I lost some rears at 60K and fronts at 70K. They initially sound like crumby tires!

John@CdnRockies
08-07-2009, 08:35 AM
I can't see you doing any damage by running it with the tires off the ground. Just be very careful that they are ALL off the ground as it is an AWD vehicle.

To check for wheel bearing issues trying running at speed (45mph is fine) and taking gentle curves (highways are good for this). You will find a more pronounced noise when taking curves in the road.

John

wsp310
08-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Ok. I raised the whole car and spun the tires with no noticble noise. I then let it idle in gear with the tires spinning at about 10 mph. No noise. Sped up to about 45 mph and definite noise coming from front right tire/hub. opened the hood and listened under the front and noise is coming from front right only. Sounds like a bearing. No play in bearing from what I can tell.

Are these sealed complete units? I looked under the How To section and there is a PDF from Art for the bearing change and it looked like a complete sealed unit. Looks like an easy job for a good home mechanic/wrench.

Thanks for the input.

BTW I did have a bunch of lights come on on the dash, abs, traction ect but they seemed to have corrected once on the ground and moving.

John

JRL
08-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Sealed, one piece and can be a SOB to remove.
Buy a big MALLETT!