PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ dash cup holder

chief88
08-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Hello all -

I have a pretty specific question regarding the dash cup holder on our 2002 XC. I have searched the site and found the instructions for removing the cup holder assembly - thanks all. My question now is that once I removed the entire assembly - there is a spring involved that obviously "opens" the cup holder when you push it to release the catch. When I removed the assembly, the spring fell out of it's position and I cannot figure out how it goes back in to make everything work. The initial problem was that we pushed in the cup holder (to open it) and it kind of got stuck in - so I removed the entire thing. The spring and assembly appear to be intact (nothing has broken off or worn out from initial review).

Does anyone know, looked at this closely, or ever seen an expoloded diagram of the cup holder assembly - so that they could provide some guidance on how the spring is oriented within the assembly to make everything work??

the spring itself has two terminal ends - one has a bend or hook - and the other is basically straight with just a slight bend beginning about an inch or inch 1/2 from the end. If this doesn't sound right - then I can assume the spring has broken and the missing piece is down behind the dash - but I'm pretty sure it hasn't broken and I just can't figure out how to orient the spring within?

thanks

slowflyer
08-04-2009, 07:58 AM
I cannot help you with your question but have one of my own. Sorry.

Did you use the cupholder removal tool referenced in the instructions or did you fabricate something. If you made it, roughly what dimensions did you use? Thanks.

chief88
08-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Slowflyer -

I just fabricated one using a wire hanger. I just bent one end (tip) to a 90 degree angle - probably close to a cm in length just short of this will be perfect- and then bent the other end a couple of times so that I would have sort of handle to twist the newly fashioned tool appropriately. Have you located the directions on how to find the tabs you need to release to remove the entire assembly?

Hope this helps

slowflyer
08-04-2009, 11:29 PM
chief:

Thanks, if I take my cupholder out I will make something like that. Mine was replaced 4 or so times under warranty even though I BABIED IT! [mad2]

I wonder if you could see one out of parts at a dealer to see how the spring is oriented?