PDA

View Full Version : 2003 XC Volvo Extended Warrenty

budrichard
07-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Fields Volvo closed thier Libertyville location and now its Highland Park for service so at 82.5 I had Ben's Volvo(Indy) change the oil and do the inspection. Darren pointed out the bevel gear leak, differential leak and ball joint. Took the Volvo to Field's Highland Park and the work under the 100K 7 year extended warrenty was bevel gear, diff replacement and a rear hub. Total was $5100 of which i paid my $200 deductable. Of course i am also out the $2K I paid for the extended warrenty from Volvo.
My point is really that at 82.5K miles this is a major repair bill that gives me cause to reconsider another Volvo purchase. Our 87 sedan went 287k miles without any engine or transmission work. Our 99Xc is at 120k miles and appears to be going strong but is out of its extended warrenty. The 2003 XC gives me cause for concern. i admit its a limited database but from other Posts I am reading about this gen XC, its made me pause. The vehicle runs as good as ever after the work and I really like the platform, but.-Dick

Forkster
07-13-2009, 11:04 AM
budrichard - if your MY03 is paid for and works well, does spending $10-12 a year on a new vehicle makes sense?

budrichard
07-13-2009, 02:22 PM
budrichard - if your MY03 is paid for and works well, does spending $10-12 a year on a new vehicle makes sense?

We have always purchased our Volvo's for the long run with extended warrenties but for the 87, the major repairs came at a much higher mileage and we are stiil only doing prescribed maintenance on the 99XC (not cheap anyway). I maintain the vehicles impeccably but the the 03 seems to be at a much lower mileage. The ex warrenty runs out in 2010 and we will certainly keep the vehicle but I can't honestly say I will purchase another. I would like a diesel XC but that doesn't seem to be coming.-Dick

Forkster
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
BudR, do you think the $5100 of work on your MY03 is reasonable? Rarely has anyone here had to replace their entire AWD system because of weeping gaskets. Gasket replacements would cost $1200 ($50 in gaskets, around 10 hours labour). Even then, I've found tightening the bolts worked 95% of the time. Sounds like they took off the arm to save a cut finger. And I mean no one (check the forums) have had to replace everything back from the angle gear.

Ball joints - they wear and go... just like the lower and uppper mounts and the sway bar end links.

All our gaskets weep a little. It's when they start dripping it becomes an issue.

Of course, the MY04 I own has been a great car. Issues that have come up were fixed within 30 minutes each and a few wrenches - but I'm a handy/backyard mechanic.

For me, I have two buckets when it comes to cars. One is repair money, the other is crap. Once a bucket fills up: money - if the repairs cost more than a year of new car payments, or crap - if the car is constantly giving me issues, the car gets replaced. :)

budrichard
07-16-2009, 04:03 PM
"BudR, do you think the $5100 of work on your MY03 is reasonable? "
Of course I don't think the cost was reasonable.
If I didn't have the Extended Warrenty. the vehicle would have been put back together and it would be gone and not for another Volvo.
What I am trying to point out is that each succeding generation of Volvo from my subjective data appears to be more prone to costly repairs. Our 99XC was in the shop today(Indy BTW) for its 120k miles service. Other than the required items and some small things I discussed wiht the mechanic, its ready for pick up so tthe 99XC seems to be going along strong even with the throtle body replacement for which Volvo reminbursed me.
I am watching the feedback on the current generation of XC70 which will strongly influence my decision to purchase another.-Dick