PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam/Sludge question

ecbsykes
07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
We have a 2002 Saab 9-3, in the year range known for bad engine sludging tendencies. The problem usually lies in the very small oil pickup screen that clogs and chokes the engine. I was wanting to do a SeaFoam treatment but was worried about the potential problem of knocking sludge loose and then blocking it up.

So I thought of this.... Is it better to maybe put in a very small amount of the recommended treatment (1/3 of 1/3 of a can) to help clean a little, or would it be better to put a whole can of SeaFoam (way over recommended) in the oil to completely dissolve everything including larger chunks that might get stuck?

Chilled Man
07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
drop oil pan and clean out sludge that way .

Allen
07-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Replace engine.

Forkster
07-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Here's what you need to do:

1. Pour an entire can into the engine and either drive it for 10 minutes or let it idle for 30.
2. Drain the oil, remove your oil pan, and even perhaps the top valve cover and inspect. Clean if necessary then put back on..
3. Replace with 100% synthetic oil in your engine. It has natural cleaners which not only helps reduce sludge, it'll clean your engine over time.
4. Do another seafoam flush 1000 miles later. Examine your oil when you drain it for chunky black bits and other sticky molasses like deposits. If it comes out a nice golden colour (abit a little darker than new oil). If not, do it again another 1000 miles.
5. Going forward, always use a good high-quality 100% synth engine oil.

While this might sound like a PITA, it's a whole lot cheaper than a) buying a new car, or b) replacing the engine.

JRL
07-29-2009, 09:27 AM
You do NOT put the entire can in the engine
1/3 in a vacuum line entry (remove a vacuum line, fill will Seafoam, then replace it before the next step)
1/3 in the crankase
1/3 in the gas tank

Run engine for 20 to 30 minutes, rev up to 3000-4000 RPM from time to time), the car will be a smokescreen for a while!
THEN drive it for about 1/2 hour, THEN change the oil

If you want to repeat in 1000 miles be my guest, but I found that one treatment seems to work out well