PDA

View Full Version : Strange clicking noise after car is turned off

zachwagon
12-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Our XC70 just hit 10,000 miles.  Just after it turned cold here in Maryland, we started hearing a repetitive clicking noise after the engine was turned off.  It comes from the heart of the engine on the driver's side and lasts a couple of minutes after each drive.

I called the service center when it first started and they said it was just the cold weather and that Volvo cars are fully of complicated electronics so it's nothing to worry about.  I accepted it at first because it was really, really cold that day.  But we've since had warm(er) days and the noise continues each and every time we finish driving the car.

Any similar problems out there?  Or any ideas what it might be?  Really nothing to worry about?

barrysharp
12-13-2003, 06:45 PM
This is a tough one to answer as many things continue to operate after the car engine shuts down -- fans etc. Clicking can occur simply due to heat dissipation and/or metals cooling down. The climate control system is still thinking hours after the engine has shut down is another example.

The exhaust is the one thing I would look at. Have the service folks take a look at the exhaust manifold area to make sure bolts etc are seated and tightened down -- or even a missing bolt or one that's somehow dislodged or has fallen out.

Post back if you discover something amiss.

Good luck.

Hey -- and welcome to the Forum. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif