PDA

View Full Version : S60 drive in The Netherlands

PJ810
07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
OK, not a Cross Country but it feels similar inside! I've rented an S60 for my 6-day stay in The Netherlands to compare to my XC. So far I've done 300-odd km. Beautiful drive. It's a low-rent model with no leather, no turbo and no geartronic. But it still looks the part and is very smooth and quiet. I also love how it corners so nice and flat.

European freeways are bliss when the traffic opens up. Although I haven't had a good opportunity yet for a proper blast, I did manage a few short stints to 180km/h and a few longer cruises at 160km/h. The S60 feels VERY stable, smooth and effortless at those speeds.

I notice the lack of the turbo coming out of an XC, but it isn't much of an issue. I haven't yet had much opportunity to throw it through some corners - it's all been freeway driving so far. I'll report back and add some photos in due course. :D

sydneyv70xc
07-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Patrick, you should be be to do one of 'em slides with a lower centre of gravity. Just Do It mate! Not at 180km/h though! Happy Vacation & will be good to see some pics soon.

PJ810
07-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Patrick, you should be be to do one of 'em slides with a lower centre of gravity. Just Do It mate! Not at 180km/h though! Happy Vacation & will be good to see some pics soon.

I took it for a long very high speed drive last night. It feels more stable during lane changes than the XC. Logical, given the lower centre of gravity. I do note the lack of a turbo. It's not as quick as the XC. I also feel the non-leather seats aren't quite as comfortable (still very very comfy though) and the steering wheel is less chunky than that in the XC.

The drive was heaps of fun. Just after midnight, not much traffic, and a billiard table smooth European freeway with no risk of kangaroos jumping in front of you! Sustained 160-180km/h most of the way. [thumbup]

r-p
07-06-2009, 12:49 AM
[thumbup]

But beware of the speed-cops if in the Netherlands. 50km/h too fast on the highway=bye-bye license.
And if you're in Germany: fire away, but if there is a speed restriction: abide by it.
(1) it is mostly for a reason
(2) they let you drive as fast as you like in Germany, but if there IS a speedrestriction, they will punish you HARD for not abiding by it.

PJ810
07-06-2009, 12:46 PM
[thumbup]

But beware of the speed-cops if in the Netherlands. 50km/h too fast on the highway=bye-bye license.
And if you're in Germany: fire away, but if there is a speed restriction: abide by it.
(1) it is mostly for a reason
(2) they let you drive as fast as you like in Germany, but if there IS a speedrestriction, they will punish you HARD for not abiding by it.

In NL I observe the 100 zones religiously, but in the East of the country I let it rip in the 120 zones if traffic is light, just like some of the locals do. I've returned the car at the airport this morning and am now in France. Hopefully I won't receive anything in the mail! As for bye bye licence, in Australia it's bye bye licence if you drive 130km/h on a 110km/h limited freeway, roads that *should* be unrestricted. So your 120+49km/h deal is pretty sweet and worst comes to worst well worth the money. [thumbup]

The 2.4 lacks power at the upper end compared to the turbo XC. In fact, yesterday I was following a black XC70 driving from Groningen to Zwolle. I had my foot flat on the floor, 180km/h+, yet the XC70 was pulling away!!! :eek:

During my 6-day tenure with the S60 I covered just over 1100km. I had hoped to squeeze in a Germany run but unfortunately time didn't permit, even though I was only a stone's throw from Germany at one point.

r-p
07-06-2009, 01:59 PM
As for bye bye licence, in Australia it's bye bye licence if you drive 130km/h on a 110km/h limited freeway, roads that *should* be unrestricted. So your 120+49km/h deal is pretty sweet and worst comes to worst well worth the money. [thumbup]
:eek: They are strict...

yesterday I was following a black XC70 driving from Groningen to Zwolle.
:D An Aussie throwing around Dutch names as if he lives here...[thumbup]
Now pronounce 'Groningen' :D

Have fun in the rest of Europe!!!

PJ810
07-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Now pronounce 'Groningen' :D

Ha ha. Not a problem. :cool: Care to throw Scheveningen at me too? :D

Picture of the S60 outside the Schiphol A4 Hotel, the night before my departure.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/pj810/DSCN3092.jpg

Miliceman
07-07-2009, 06:04 AM
At least, one pic!

PJ810
11-03-2009, 03:48 AM
:eek: They are strict...

It finally came in the mail. :eek:

153km/h on the A7. In Australia that would be loss of licence by a margin of 24km/h. So well worth the 160 euros plus the AU dollar has been creeping up. [thumbup]

Hopefully there will be no more of such letters coming my way.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/pj810/04072009365.jpg