PDA

View Full Version : Hood & Tailgate Material?

PRSguy
07-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi,

I'm a newbie to these parts. I searched for an answer but couldn't find one. My question deals with the hood and the tailgate material on my wife's '08 XC70. Are these parts made of aluminum? I ask because her beloved OSU Buckeye magnet won't stick to either.

Thanks for any info.

PG

Mighty Quinn
07-31-2009, 03:34 PM
My question deals with the hood and the tailgate material on my wife's '08 XC70. Are these parts made of aluminum? I ask because her beloved OSU Buckeye magnet won't stick to either.

Wow, very interesting. My curiosity got the best of me and I had to go out and try this myself. You are indeed correct, the hood and tailgate are not steel. I did a quick inspection of the seams (it was raining so I didn't spend a lot of time), and it looks to me like the tailgate is a composite and the hood is aluminum.

I also did a search and found nothing on this topic. Interested in hearing from anyone who has some hard data on this.

Cheers,
TMQ

MGC
09-11-2009, 02:01 PM
The hood is Aluminum. I just had the hood replaced on my 2008 after a minor fender bender. Not sure about the tail gate.

Morrie