PDA

View Full Version : Grand Voyage To Las Vegas, NV from St. Paul, MN

uncleraemus
06-27-2009, 02:04 PM
My trip begins on July 6th. The destination is Las Vegas, NV. This is the Volvo's second time out there, my 4th. I'm spending two days in colorado on the way out, one in Fort Collins (must visit New Belgium Brewery), and the second in Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak). I'll upload pics of the journey as I take them. Of course one cannot go on a journey without giving a car with 192K miles a good looking over. After having it assessed at the local Volvo dealer, I had a laundry list of things to do to make it "journeyable" before the trip. I'm almost all the way through my list of repairs and upgrades. It is as follows:

1) New Driveshaft $435.08 installed myself
2) Newer viscous coupler $100 at salvage yard, $185 installed at Volvo
3) Oil change $28.95 at Volvo
4) New front struts $422.00 installed myself
5) New strut plates $100 installed myself
6) New control arms $171.00 installed myself
7) New sway bar links $125 installed myself
8) New spark plugs (NGK Platinum) $17.95 installed myself

Taking it into Volvo on monday to have a 4-wheel alignment ($75), and a new oil return line put in (~$340 parts and labor). After this is done, she should be ready to ride!

A few places I'm considering visiting during my 8 weeks in Vegas are Death Valley, Red Rock Canyon, and Mount Charleston. If you have any suggestions for things to see on the way out, or things to do while I'm out there, drop me a line.