L2628
06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone:

Volvo has special running on 2009's:

$10K+ off MSRP
5yr/60K warranty
5yr/60K free factory scheduled maintenance
5yr/60K wear & tear coverage
5yr/unlimited mileage roadside assistance.

Has reliability/number of problems been improved over 2008 model? I'm considering trading my 2005 .

Thanks!

mbsl98
06-21-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm hoping you get some good replies, as well as being interested in any comments on new XC versus '07's. Our '07 lease is up at end of August, so it is either buy out that one (as originally planned) or a great deal on one - need to get some inputs to help with that. So far our '07 is perfect and we are perfectly happy to buy it back, unless the '09 deals are great and the feedback on '09's is pretty great too.

OKCXC70
06-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Well, I don't have an 09, I have an 08. I have had three things wrong: one tire was waayyyy out of round and they had to replace the two rear, the rearview mirror wouldn't stay in place and they replaced that and just recently had the squeaky tailgate solved. I love my 08, it is a comfortable, classy ride that hauls all kinds of stuff. I use Thule rack on the top for kayaks and box and a yakima swing away on the back for bikes. I've had a clear bra installed as well as a draw-tite class 3 hitch. (volvo hitch is too short for my accessories and the local shop charged half of the dealer) I don't have turbo and don't miss it, there is no lag waiting for the turbo to kick in. It has plenty of power and I get around 21-22 with a mix of highway and city. Plenty of people who don't have one will badmouth it, they don't like the styling, etc. Some people have had more than their fair share of trouble, like with windows and such. But the forum here is building up and we are all helping each other solve our problems, so you really have a good deal either way. Keep your version you have or get the latest, either way, it is a good wagon.

Lotus99
06-24-2009, 08:01 PM
I use Thule rack on the top for kayaks and box and a yakima swing away on the back for bikes.

Hi, was thinking of getting one myself, specifically this one. It's the most expensive one, but the only one that swings away with the bikes on it, so it'll be handy if I need to access the trunk and don't have to take the bikes off. Though I don't know how often that will be realistically as it will probably only happen on long road trips where we need access to the back during the trip... I'm guessing for a short trip in town, I won't really need access to the back while the bikes are on.

http://www.rackattack.com/dynamicimages/productimages/thule-964-revolver-2.jpg

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-964-revolver.asp

This one can tilt back when it's not loaded, so you can still access the trunk, and it's $100 cheaper than the one above. "Hitch Switch folds arms down when not in use and tilts carrier away from vehicle for trunk, hatch or tailgate access"

http://www.rackattack.com/dynamicimages/productimages/thule-954-ridgeline.jpg

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-954-ridgeline.asp
Which do you have? And what would you get if you were me? I don't want to just for the sake of saving $100 now for the next xx years regret not getting the one that folds away with bikes on it! :D Can you tell how easy it is for me to make decisions? LOL!

OKCXC70
06-25-2009, 09:55 AM
The swing away is the way to go. You don't want to have to tip anything down when it is loaded with the bikes as you will have to unload the bikes first. You will use the swing away more than you think! The swing away will hold up to 4 bikes but more importantly, it has good separation of two bikes. We didn't use ours when we had the volvo hitch on the old '04 because it wouldn't go far enough in on the volvo hitch. That's why this time around I got the drawtite. The guy did a stellar job and you can't see where the bumper was cut. It was $493 with parts and labor for the hitch and the electrical hookup (4 pin). I went to a place called American Hitch. Don't know if it is a national chain or not. I don't recommend going to any old UHaul to get it done. Also, you can use any old receiver, not just the weird Volvo one, and it has two sets of holes so you can use a locking J hitch pin which reduces rattle. Volvo hitch only had one set of holes for a hitch pin. This comes in to play if you happen to be away from home and end up having to haul something back. I don't drive around with the ball in it or the hitch pin so as not to be a temptation to anyone. But back to the swing away--if you can swing the $$, you should get it!

Lotus99
06-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Muchas gracias for the tips! I will get the swing away then for sure. I also was going to go with a non dealer install, based on the recommendations of another forum member (beaven), as it is a better hitch AND cheaper!

This was the install link for it: http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fitguides/pdf/N87484.pdf I think draw tite is made by the same company as this one. it seems to be more discreet than the OEM one, and not require as much cutting of the bumper from pics I've seen.

OEM:

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/cat/images/V70-XC70/0900c8af80a975d1.jpg

Hidden hitch:

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/beavenx5/volvo008.jpg

mbsl98
07-29-2009, 01:59 PM
"Muchas gracias for the tips! I will get the swing away then for sure. I also was going to go with a non dealer install, based on the recommendations of another forum member (beaven), as it is a better hitch AND cheaper!"
---------------------------
I don't know the actual facts for teh new XC's, but in all of my prior Volvo hitches, I have found that the Volvo factory hitch was much more robust than any of the aftermarket units. In particular, the number of attachment bolts has been much greater, as well as the size of the cross members, tubes, etc. On my '95 and '98, there are something like 14 bolts holding the factory hitch, and only three holding a Draw-Tite one that I removed in favor of a used factory hitch once I saw the difference. I'd look carefully at teh actual factory hitch versus aftermarkets for those sort of differences on the latest versions, particularly if you will tow any serious weight. (I pull a 2500 pound boat).

OKCXC70
07-30-2009, 08:32 AM
In the pdf Lotus posted, there are at least 6 bolts holding the hitch through the impact bar in to the frame. The drawtite is rated for 4000 pounds towing, but the car is rated at 3500lbs. I think with all the millions of drawtites and hidden hitches out there, we're OK. I wouldn't really push it all the way to the limit regardless of what hitch I had.

Lotus99
07-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Yes, in fact the OEM hitch is rated a class II hitch, whereas the hidden hitch one is a class III. I'd think if that's in their documentation that it would be accurate. I don't intend on pulling any serious weight anyway.

I do know that beaven on this forum has a hidden hitch one that he's used to pull a boat with, though not very far, as it was over the car's rated weight limit.