PDA

View Full Version : Going out of Warranty...

n00bkiller944
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
My 2005 XC70 is going out of warranty next month or in about 2000 miles so it is set to go to the dealership next week for one last visit and I was just curious what you all think I should ask them to look at/try to get fixed under warranty. What normally goes bad around 50k?

Also does anyone know if door seals are covered under factory warranty? Mine are in horrible condition for some reason...?

Thanks!

mbsl98
06-16-2009, 07:47 AM
I take my car to an independant shop for the final check on potential warranty issues. I think that the dealer has some incentive to ignore issues until after the warranty expires, since he will be paid a higher rate to fix it on your dime than the fixed fee he gets for warranty work. Then, if there are any issues, take it to the dealer with a specific complaint. I would ask the mechanic to do a full pre-purchase inspection, just as if you were about to buy the car - usually takes about an hour or perhaps two hours max charge, and it gets you not only warranty issues but a checklist of current status and routine things to plan ahead for.

I expect that door seals are covered under the "bumper to bumper" 50k coverage, unless you have damaged them by some kind of mis-use. I haven't seen any complaints about XC70 door seals, but I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that our '07 driver's door seal is being abraded near top of b-pillar, must be from the front door rubbing on it. I expect to ask for a wararnty fix on that, but so far I have not had the car back to the dealer for anything at all (no adjustments, repairs of any kind) in 35k, and it is not worth a separate trip.

skibo
06-16-2009, 09:12 AM
My driver's door seal was worn through near the bottom at 48,000 miles and the dealer wouldn't fix it under warranty. At first they assumed someone had damaged it with a 'slim jim' or something, but then determined that it had just worn out. But not covered.

Forkster
06-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Check your top engine mount (the one connected to your sway-bar) and bottom transmission mount - your sway-bar end links (front and rear), check and ensure your bevel gear seal isn't weeping/leaking, check your power steering reservoir, and check your top sway-bar bushings.

Plus - check your CV joints, rear differential, and anything else you suspect may be going.