PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous windshield crack

dhayner
06-11-2009, 01:59 PM
My windshield (2006 V70 2.5T) developed a crack without being hit by anything. It's a 20" roughly horizontal crack just below the rain sensor (which I suspect may be a factor). Any other similar experiences?

Insurance, less deductible, will cover the cost of replacement. I have a good glass man who has done great work on my other car.

BLUEH20
06-11-2009, 02:29 PM
This late in game a spontaneous glass crack is very unusual. Not to say that some stress may have occured.

When I was still in the repair business I used a ball point pen to help determine if the crack was caused by a "strike". Place the roller ball in the crack line and move it from end to end. If there is even an extremely small strike, the pen will catch on it. Give this a try and post us the results, please.

tgwillard
06-11-2009, 06:51 PM
When I replaced my XC70 windshield even though the replacement was for cars equipped with rain sensors, the Volvo rain sensor would not work with the new glass. Finally had to replace with OEM glass and everything was fine.

dhayner
06-12-2009, 08:31 AM
When I replaced my XC70 windshield even though the replacement was for cars equipped with rain sensors, the Volvo rain sensor would not work with the new glass. Finally had to replace with OEM glass and everything was fine.

Good to hear that OEM works well - that is what my glass man will use.