PDA

View Full Version : Installing ticket clip holder in A pillar cover

Lotus99
06-06-2009, 07:17 PM
As you know, these cars for some reason didn't come with the ticket holder, which Europeans still get.

Following another user's directions, I bought it for a couple of bucks (Part # 8616658), but then slightly modified his approach. The way he did it:

"1. remove the square cover that shows airbag, near the upper-left corner of A-pillar, by lifting its bottom edge
2. once the square cover (cap) is remove, loose the torx screw by about 1", no need to completely remove it
3. find or build a 3/4" wide thin metal or plastic bar with right angle bent at one end (as a hook) as a pulling tool
4. insert the pulling tool between the A-pillar plastic cover, starting from the top where the screw was loosen, and slide down along the windshield. Along the middle of the pillar, there's clip behind the plastic cover, that you can pop it with your pulling tool (a click sound).
5. Around the place or above, there's a larger opening you can make and insert the backend of the ticket clip behind the plastic cover
6. continue slide the pulling tool with the ticket clip and stop around 4" above the bottom of windshield, and that's it.
7. click back the clip fasting the cover, tighten the torx screw, put back the square cover"

I did it a bit differently. I removed pretty much the whole A pillar cover, so I did unscrew the screw completely. I pulled away the cover a few inches from the A pillar and then pulled UP an inch or so at the bottom where it meets the dash, so I could have enough space to push the clip into its slot behind the cover.

This is because otherwise, you can't insert (at least I couldn't) the holder into its slot, which you can see from my pic. If you just slide the holder under the cover, it will probably stay put, but the way I did it would be how it came from the factory.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/Lotus100/Ticketclipholder.jpg

Whole thing took 15 minutes probably and that's cuz I was worried about pulling off the cover completely, but it comes off easily as there's only a few plastic plugs holding it in place besides the screw, and they easily go back in later.

Cheers!

RedXC
06-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the info! And great details you have on the instructions!

Lotus99
06-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Glad to be able to help! Dealer told me they don't install them on the 09's anymore b/c they rattled too much, and I saw on another forum a few people posting that theirs rattled too much (in the older Volvo's) so they yanked them out! I hope ours doesn't do that! The fix would be apparently to leave a ticket in there all the time.

OKCXC70
06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Where did you get the part? From the dealer?

Magslad
06-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Glad to be able to help! Dealer told me they don't install them on the 09's anymore b/c they rattled too much, and I saw on another forum a few people posting that theirs rattled too much (in the older Volvo's) so they yanked them out! I hope ours doesn't do that! The fix would be apparently to leave a ticket in there all the time.

I haven't noticed ours rattling at all - in fact, it was only after reading this thread that I realised we had one! I had wondered why there was a bit of plastic sticking out by the windscreen, so nice to know what it is - quite useful too now that I know :D

Lotus99
06-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Where did you get the part? From the dealer?

Yep, just a few bucks. Couldn't believe how cheap it was.

Looks like this, in case you're not sure (not my pic, found it on the web):

http://www.saw-marketing.com/volvo/images/coolvolvoclippything.jpg

OKCXC70
06-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Got the clip. Still working up the nerve to undo the A pillar. Since you took the screws out, did you need to rig up a pulling tool? BTW, mine never rattled in my 04. The clip is great for those of us with a shorter reach, don't have to accidentally honk the horn trying to reach the front of the dash!!

Lotus99
06-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Got the clip. Still working up the nerve to undo the A pillar. Since you took the screws out, did you need to rig up a pulling tool? BTW, mine never rattled in my 04. The clip is great for those of us with a shorter reach, don't have to accidentally honk the horn trying to reach the front of the dash!!

Actually it wasn't bad at all. I was worried in pulling it off, as the OP who wrote the FAQ didn't do it that way, but as he later told me, that's because his method doesn't really install the clip in its slot, he just slid it behind the pillar cover.

IIRC, I undid the screw, and just used my fingers to pull back the pillar cover, and there was really no concern about breaking any clips or anything (rivet type on the back of the cover that plug into the frame) and once I had like half of the cover pulled out of its plugs, I just wiggled it up from the dash to be able to then pull it away far enough from the frame so I could click in the clip into its slot. I found without pulling the cover up from the base where it meets the dash, you wouldn't be able to pull it back far enough. I didn't have to completely pull out the cover though from where it enters the dash.

Good luck! It's not as scary as it sounds.