PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light on my s80

jmiller11
05-23-2009, 08:46 AM
I have a 2001 Volvo s80 and the check engine light has been coming on every time we start the car for the past 6 months but after a couple of minutes it goes off. Now the service engine soon light has come on and is staying on. Any ideas?

ecbsykes
05-23-2009, 09:15 AM
I would go to an Autozone or some place where you can rent or use a code reader for free. Get the code for whatever is setting off the check engine light (CEL) in the first few minutes. Usually you just plug it in to the OBDII port, turn the car's ignition to the second position (headlights, everything else on, but not engine) and it should then pull up a code. If it's Autozone then usually they can look it up, or just post it here and we can help.

jmiller11
05-23-2009, 10:30 AM
This is what I found out at Autozone. The code was p0137 O2 sensor cir. Low Volts Bank 1 Sensor 1. I don't know where Bank 1 sensor 2 is when you are looking at it. I do know these sensors are on the exhaust manifold. Is this something I can change out and how much would it cost to have it done?

ecbsykes
05-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Bank 1 Sensor 2 should be the rear O2 sensor, and the code means it is probably dead or dying. Have you noticed poor mileage recently?

You're probably going to have to replace the sensor; they aren't super cheap but usually you don't have to replace them often. How many miles on the car?

I'm not too familiar with O2 sensor replacement/functions, so definitely wait to see other responses from more experienced users. I hope this helps a little though!

bob
05-15-2011, 11:39 AM
The "service" light is an oil change reminder. It comes on after a specific number of miles, months or hours of operation. It will come on after engine start and go off after 2 minutes. Does not indicate problems other than it's time for maintainence. Check engine light indicates a problem with the engine/fuel/ignition/transmission etc. There are 4 O2 sensors. Sensor 1 is located between the exaust port and the cat. Sensor 2 is downstream of the cat. Bank 1 is cyl 1,2,3 and bank 2 is 4, 5 and 6. Cylinders are numbered 1 2 3 4 5 6 from the front of the engine.

gwee
08-07-2014, 07:22 PM
check engine light on might indicate problem with the cars engine system. Try to use a code scanner pull DTC from the system first. If you get one or more trouble code, look them up, and you will have a rough idea.

gwee
08-07-2014, 07:24 PM
I would go to an Autozone or some place where you can rent or use a code reader for free. Get the code for whatever is setting off the check engine light (CEL) in the first few minutes. Usually you just plug it in to the OBDII port, turn the car's ignition to the second position (headlights, everything else on, but not engine) and it should then pull up a code. If it's Autozone then usually they can look it up, or just post it here and we can help.

I agree with you.