PDA

View Full Version : Inner tie rod replacement - spare part?

jdj2
05-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm replacing my inner tie rod ends on my 2001xc, and the parts I received from IPD include what looks like a shim with two bent tabs on the inside.

When I remove the old tie rods, I didn't see anything like this, and it doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. Is this shim used in a different application of the same tie rod, or am I being dense?

billr99
05-12-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm replacing my inner tie rod ends on my 2001xc, and the parts I received from IPD include what looks like a shim with two bent tabs on the inside.

When I remove the old tie rods, I didn't see anything like this, and it doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. Is this shim used in a different application of the same tie rod, or am I being dense?
I just did mine and noticed the same thing. Didn't have it on the originals, therefore I didn't use them on the replacements. So far, so good.

Cheers,

Bill

Aviator
05-12-2009, 01:40 PM
It's just a generic tab style lock washer and you would bend the outer tabs over the nearest flat of the inner tie rod end socket. Toss it out as you don't need it. The same ones came with mine from IPD and they weren't originally on the car. Now, if this were on a 240, you would need them.

Dave.