PDA

View Full Version : ethanol in gas

kmocradio
05-11-2009, 01:10 PM
I just bought a 2001 Volvo V70XC. It has 115k. I love the car. I want it to last forever. I read the manual and it said to stay away from gasoline with ethanol. Since buying the car EVERY gas station I visit says up to 10% ethanol.

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you seek out a specific gas station to avoid ethanol? If so, which one?

Do you notice decreased performance when using gasoline with ethanol, as stated in the manual?

Should I be more careful or is it unavoidable at this point?

wgriswold
05-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I think it is unavoidable. There is a bill in Congress to increase the % to 15.

Crazy Harry
05-11-2009, 02:23 PM
I agree - at this point buying gasoline without ethanol seems to be unavoidable. The 2004 owners manual states:

'Alcohol - Ethanol: Fuels containing up to 10% ethanol by volume may be used. Ethanol may also be referred to as Ethyl alcohol, or "Gasohol."'

I don't know if Volvo changed anything in the engines or control computer to allow the alcohol use.

Harold.

JRL
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Newer Volvos (06-09) I believe are able to tolerate 15% ethanol with no ill effects.
10% should be fine on your 01

tkirwan
05-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Are there any additives that would help out on an older model if gas goes to 15% ethanol?

billr99
05-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Are there any additives that would help out on an older model if gas goes to 15% ethanol?

If you have any problems it will be because of the lower BTUs in ethanol by volume. So your mileage will go down and you might have an increase chance of vapour lock or water in the fuel (both of which are aggravated by higher ethanol percentages). On the other hand, your fuel system should be cleaner and the combustion burn should be a tad cooler. The really unfortunate part is that with all the current level of engine controls is if the fuel makes things go beyond what the ECU can deliver. That is, how far can the spark advance and/or fuel volume be altered? Back in the good old days, with higher levels of alcohol you could twist the distributor a bit to take advantage of the increased octane (assuming the fuel is blended to take that advantage) and change carb jets to change fuel delivery. All of that is ECU-based these days and untouchable by human hands.

Cheers,

Bill

wgriswold
05-12-2009, 11:05 AM
I understand there is some risk of E15 damaging rubber seals in boat engines. I don't know if that risk exists in our Volvo's.

billr99
05-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I understand there is some risk of E15 damaging rubber seals in boat engines. I don't know if that risk exists in our Volvo's.

Wouldn't you think Volvo would have that sorted since they have ben building cars for other markets were ethanol fuels are more available (like Brazil, maybe?). You would think that they wouldn't alter fuel systems away from a broader ability to handle higher alcohol content than what is available in North America. But on the other hand, the accountants rule so who know if the mods would cost more per unit.

Cheers,

Bill