PDA

View Full Version : Volvo XC70 Startup vibration/rattle

tyler47
05-09-2009, 08:07 AM
2004 Volvo XC70 with 117.5K on the Odometer. Has not have any major services outside of the timing belts replaced. When it turns over it makes really weird loud vibrating noise, almost like a grinding noise but i'm not sure. In this video it didn't do it, like i said it only happens once and a while, maybe i can catch it on video sometime. Also the turbo i think sounds funny, over day getting on the highway i felt there wasn't enough in the pedal. Anybody that can help it would appreciated! Not really sure what happening is the vibrating turn over normal? Also how does the turbo sound? I'm not sure why acceleration was slow the other day? Does it just need an oil change? It's a great workhorse and has had no problems till now, I don't want them to start now! Thanks for Help
Here is a video i made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoINnJD8oY8

tyler47
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
i just realized i posted this thread and the video link wouldn't work. So i fixed that and now it works... how does it sound? on occasion has a rattle vibration of a start up and I'm concerned it will lead to bigger problems down the road...

billr99
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Really hard to tell with the quality of the sound, but sounds like one of the TB rollers or water pump to me. But again really hard to say without being there.
Anyway, when you had the TB done were the rollers done? Water pump normally doesn't need to be replaced until the second TB change, but the rollers should be done with every change.

Good luck,

Bill

tyler47
06-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the reply, i think that was redone when the belts were done around 106K i have the receipt here and it was about $950 for the TB Service. Oddly enough a day after the belts where replace power steering went and fluid was dripping and loud noises where emitting from the engine. Open the hood and found out the screwed up the power steering pump when doing the new belts. Brought it back pissed and they only charged me for some new fluid and replaced the rest. Although it is a volvo dealer i wonder what else they screwed up. Sometimes the noise is very loud sometimes after a warm day, ill try recording another time when the noise stands out. It just i never seen to have my camera with me when it does....

kamiar
07-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the reply, i think that was redone when the belts were done around 106K i have the receipt here and it was about $950 for the TB Service. Oddly enough a day after the belts where replace power steering went and fluid was dripping and loud noises where emitting from the engine. Open the hood and found out the screwed up the power steering pump when doing the new belts. Brought it back pissed and they only charged me for some new fluid and replaced the rest. Although it is a volvo dealer i wonder what else they screwed up. Sometimes the noise is very loud sometimes after a warm day, ill try recording another time when the noise stands out. It just i never seen to have my camera with me when it does....

I alos have this noise, did you find out what was the reason?

tyler47
08-12-2009, 05:19 PM
i have not and i still have it but the car runs beautifully so i just assume it doesn't cause much harms from what people have told me. It must be some bearings either pertaining to the turbo or the timing belt (but i had the TB done so i don't think its that). If you find out please let me know cause it's just things like this that annoy me i like my car perfect. (it's such a great car).

kamiar
08-12-2009, 07:51 PM
2 days back i changed the air filter and in the same time i disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reset the electronic modules, it seems much better now, but sometimes i can hear the rattle at start up.

Chilled Man
08-12-2009, 08:51 PM
tune up ?

tyler47
08-13-2009, 07:34 PM
it's such an odd problem..

kamiar
08-13-2009, 08:37 PM
tune up ?

Plugs (Not NGKs :))and Air Filter are replaced, anything else?