PDA

View Full Version : Rear sway bar bent, rear feels like its floating or kicking out!

santon
05-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Well, during my rear brake job, a dumba$$ colleague jacked the car up from this sway bar. Brake job went fine, no issues.

then drive the car the rear feels like its swaying or kicking out.
I wasnt sure if it was just in my head as I dont drive this car much, its my wifes. I drove it around for like 1hr to make sure everything was cool.

wife drives it, doesnt say anythign. then I ask her " does the car feel different" and she confirms what I said.

If this bar swaybar is bent would it cause this?

only other thing that happened during the brake job was that the dust shield had to be bent to take the old rotor off, I bent it back the best I can to make sure it wasnt obstructing anything.

any ideas?

Aviator
05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
That looks to be like one of your tie rods in the rear.......it's way bent and your rear alignment is way whacked out of place as a result; hence the weird sensation when driving.

Dave.

billr99
05-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Kind of hard to tell by the picture, but it looks to me that it is not your swaybar that is bent but the lower locating link. With that piece bent it would throw your rear toe out and that being asymmetrical; that would account for the rear feeling like it is trying to step out. Looks like the shop you had do the last bit of work owes you a new suspension piece and a rear alignment

Good Luck,

Bill

santon
05-04-2009, 01:58 PM
i lightened the picture. its like a square tubing bar but open on the bottom.

billr99
05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
i lightened the picture. its like a square tubing bar but open on the bottom.

Yep, that sure looks like the lower locating link to me. Better be careful until you get it sorted. It will play havoc with your rear tire wear, especially on that corner.

Bill

skibo
05-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I agree. A sway bar has to be circular in cross section - this is some sort of lower control arm equivelent. And I'd expect that having it bent like that is causing that wheel to 'toe out' (point to the outside of the car) which is consistant with what you are feeling.