PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack? Scrapping noise turning hard L and R

jbackus4
05-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Had a local shop give me an estimate for a replacement muffler and they noticed wear on the inside of all 4 rims. After some looking around they noticed that the inside of the front wheels, when turned lock to lock (Left and Right), would scrap on the tie rods as though the steering didn't have a proper stopping point. Since I had a tire rotation done, all 4 tires were affected.

A year earlier I heard a scrapping noise when I would steer the car all the way left or all the way right but after having 2 shops look onto the problem both shops diagnosed it as faulty tie rods. After having all 4 tie rods replaced, the problem still existed, except neither shop found anything else wrong. (1 of the two was Goodyear, the 2nd was my local Volvo Dealer).

So the muffler shop figured out the scrapping noise without even knowing I had a problem with the steering. They feel there's an issue with the proper stopping points for the steering. Is this proper stopping point within the rack or is it elsewhere?

Thank you in advance,
John
2001 V70XC Light Blue 163,562 miles

Aviator
05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Sounds like the steering stops on the front control arms are either worn out or missing (if your car was equipped with them to begin with).

Dave.

JRL
05-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Yes, your car has either worn out or missing steering stops.
(My guess would they could be worn or they just need to be greased)
You may have wasted a lot of money by not haveing a VOLVO mechanic look at it!
You can do this yourself, where it's hitting, just slop some heavy grease on those stops.

jbackus4
05-04-2009, 05:21 AM
If that's all it needs, can you tell me where the stops are located? I'm concerned about bringing it back to my Volvo dealer since they didn't discover the problem themselves, so I'd like to make the repairs myself.

this Forum ROCKS!! :)

John

kamiar
05-04-2009, 11:03 AM
If that's all it needs, can you tell me where the stops are located? I'm concerned about bringing it back to my Volvo dealer since they didn't discover the problem themselves, so I'd like to make the repairs myself.

this Forum ROCKS!! :)

John

As far as i know the 2004 XCs do not have Steering Stops...

jbackus4
05-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Below is a link to the item I believe I need to replace.

http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?strPageHistory=home&numSearchStartRecord=0&P_ID=4067&CAT_ID=0&V_ID=10021

Does anyone know how to replace them?

Thank you,
John B

BillAileo
05-04-2009, 12:02 PM
It looks like VADIS calls one of those things "the limiter roll" and they are replaced by removing two screws and installing the new "limiter roll" with two new screws torqued to 25 Nm.

billr99
05-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Are these things on the A-arms? I can't recall seeing them but I'd better take a look as I've never replaced them. If rubber is involved, they are probably perished in this sea air that I'm parked in and I'd better take a look.

Thanks,

Bill

kamiar
05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I think there is no steering stop on XCs, and yes they are supposed to be on the control arm....

Art
05-04-2009, 05:58 PM
As others have stated, you might want to first check and see if your vehicle comes equipped with steering stops and deflection limiters or even if the lower control arms have provisions for the stops (aka roll limiters). This was previously discussed in the following link.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12640&highlight=steering+stops

jbackus4
05-08-2009, 07:17 AM
There seems to be allot of confusion here about Wheel Stop Limiters so I am posting what my local dealer just told me. Just got off the phone with them, they said the Limiters are bushing that are behind the front tie rods and not the ones listed on the the IPDUSA website. $500 to replace (3 hours work) but said most people don't get them replaced so I wont either.

http://ipdusa.com/version.asp?strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1&P_ID=4067&CAT_ID=0&V_ID=10021

Transmission fluid gets replaced every 50K, time for that and the back right wheel bearing they put on last July needs replacing (no charge to replace the fault bearing). Both back rotors are rusted and warped, but only 2 years old and not under warranty. $375 for rotors. Wish I knew how to work on cars.

So, I'm getting off easy today except now I need both mufflers replaced at a cost of $1150. Its not waking the dead yet, so I'll hold off a little while longer. Cat was replaced last year at a cost of $1250.

Thanks everyone for your input,
John B
Anyone wanna buy a Volvo V70XC :D

Forkster
05-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Instead of putting back on OEM mufflers, maybe it's time for a nice exhaust upgrade at the same price? :D

jbackus4
05-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Where do I find that kinda of muffler system? IPDUSA only has down pipes and manifolds. I need from behind the cat back.

John

Forkster
05-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Eurosport tuning is your friend. :)

http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=EST02&Category_Code=VL-V70-en

You could do a combination of R headers, downpipe from IPD, and then the sport exhaust from Eurosport... but that's me dreaming... :p

jbackus4
05-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Looks like the rear bumper has to be modified to make it fit. :( Not sure I want to go that route.

https://www.eurosporttuning.ca/images/volvo/VLE-375-104-01.jpg

thanks for suggesting,
John

Jorge-789995
05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
What is wrong with the mufflers? Are they rusted out completly? I was told I needed to replace them as well, but one of the hangers was falling off, so i just had them weld it back on. It was a tricky fix, but it worked. I then found out there is a bracket that can be used for just this exact fix. If the muffler is not falling off or audibly violating noise ordinances, you might consider a more economical repair. Just a thought.

I'd like to upgrade my exhaust to one that gives more HP, but not if my existing one still has life in it.

let us know what you find out.

jbackus4
05-10-2009, 03:17 PM
When Meineke had it up on the lift I saw where the leaks were located. One was on the mid muffler and the other was on the rear muffler where the top and bottom sections meet. I'm considering doing it myself but I'll get a couple estimates from locale shops first.

Anyone know of aftermarket muffler that are considerably less expensive?

John