PDA

View Full Version : Thule vs. Yakima

cosvog
05-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I am getting ready to purchase a roof rack cross bar system and cargo box for my 2002 XC70 and was hoping to get some guidance on which company to go with?

I will be using the roof rack/box for holding luggage/camping stuff

thanks

sjonnie
05-01-2009, 09:24 AM
The main difference between the two is that Yakima has round cross-bars whereas Thule's are square. If you're just using a top box then it won't make a scrap of difference who you use but for some accessories it means they can rotate around the round bar (both a blessing and a curse) but not the square. In general most Thule accessories will fit on Yakima bars and vise-versa so you aren't limited by the one company depending on whose base rack you buy. Yakima has the mega long 78" cross bars whereas Thule's longest bar is 65". Most people I know buy Yakima.

bbbuzzy
05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Around here (new england), most people use Thule. I've had great experiences with Thule products for over 10 yrs. They all still work just as well as they did on day one. Having said that, I'm sure Yakima products are also good. I think the deciding factor may be the application you need the rack for and which vendor provides a better solution for your needs.

striperhound
05-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Both will work, but check your accessories. I've used Thule's a number of years

uscgc70
05-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Get the Volvo crossbars, they look cleaner and don't stick out. i have a Thule cargo box and a Yakima roof basket, and they are both great products, so i would go with whichever you can get for the best price.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/poorboy3000/Cars/HPIM0390-1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/poorboy3000/Cars/CIMG0698.jpg

Art
05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I would have to agree with the others when it comes to choosing a rack system. Both Thule and Yakima carry great products and you'll likely come across similarly positive feedback with respect to brand preference. I personally prefer the square Thule/Thule branded Volvo load bars.

As far as cargo boxes go, once again, I don't think you can go wrong with either brand and the quick-clamp style systems found on both Thule/Yakima boxes should accommodate most load bar shapes including square, round, oval, or wing profile. There are also other box manufacturers such as Packasport and Inno but you'll probably find that Thule still offers the widest range of models to choose from.

Just remember that with the longer, wider boxes (18 cu ft and up) it's generally a two person job lifting it up on to the rack. With my Thule Evolution (16 cu ft) I'm able to car top it by myself quite easily and I'm vertically challenged. With that said, If you need the volume go with a larger box. You'll be amazed at how much those things can hold!

Btw, nice pics uscgc70! [thumbup]

thesurfingsquid
05-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm a big fan of Thule!
Aero bars with Atlantis box :)

ccmilesd
05-05-2009, 11:12 AM
You've got to go Thule! Stick with the "Swedish" theme

Ozzie
05-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Thule Atlantis 18 on Volvo aerobars. [thumbup] I believe Yakima has something similar. Both are on sale at REI thru 05/10.

This is a wide, tall, and long box that pretty much fills the space between the side rails. Easy on and off. Opens from both sides. Holds a lot of "stuff". Thule makes the Volvo box.

Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 Roof Box Specs
Weight 52 pounds
Volume 18 cubic feet
Dimensions 92 x 36 x 16 inches
REI price $486.99

Thule Atlantis 1800 XT Roof Box Specs
Weight 44 pounds
Volume 18 cubic feet
Dimensions 84 x 34.4 x 16.9 inches
REI price $479.99

Francesc
05-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Volvo Carline
http://www.autogazeta.com/c/1/b/vo00703.jpg

1000 €

cosvog
05-13-2009, 10:38 AM
thanks for all of the responses, after checking out all of the systems (thule, yakima, factory), we decided to go with the factory cross bars and thule box (model to be determined once I manage to get out to REI)