PDA

View Full Version : Just Purchased 2002 v70 XC AWD

xcnewbie
04-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2002 v70 XC AWD. The interior exterior are in mint. I had it inspected prior to purchase and it got the green light. The carfax was clean and showed regular maintenance. I got the car for $7,500. Is this a good deal? I feel like it's a great deal, but wanted to poll the experts!

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for my first week of v70 ownership?

Thanks!

sydneyv70xc
04-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Hi mate,

READ the driver's/car manual would be my suggestion and learn all the features. I bought mine a few weeks ago and like Tim the Tool Man Taylor, real man don't need instructions till something goes wrong right?!
In my case I felt like a dill after asking about why the air cond fan comes on after I'd turned the engine off. And thanks to the feedback from this community advised me that it is a Volvo feature. Only last weekend when I decided to read my manual that it clearly tells us why the fan comes on etc!
But you are in good hands with the advice you will get from this community I feel and enjoy the Volvo mate. Its a bloody good car and like everything else in life, you will experience the good bad and the ugly and hopefully you have the good in Volvo ownership like I am experiencing at the moment! [thumbup]

p.s. BTW, folks seems to like to cut off Volvo drivers so get use to it = at least here in Sydney anyway!

PaperToast
04-30-2009, 07:06 AM
with an 02, $7500 sounds about right with around 100-125k.

the only thing i can think of with an 02 from reading on here is that the tranny is the biggest thing you have to watch on these. as long as you keep u with fluid changes and software updates you stave off the ever famous tranny failure.

its generally a good idea to fill out your signature with year, model, miles and any mods/extras; helps us help you. [thumbup]

xcnewbie
04-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Forgot to mention, 81K miles on car. Live in U.S.

JRL
04-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Good price, service the tranny NOW (flush)

Sasquatch
04-30-2009, 10:41 AM
I thought the transmission problems were only on the 2001's and that the 2002's and up had the electric transmission which didn't have the same problems. Am I mistaken? How about 2003? What IS it with these cars?

Thanks.

KazDog
05-07-2009, 09:40 AM
My 2002 has 90,000km with no transmission problems. Based on advice from this forum I had the tranny flushed around 50,00km and plan on doing it again at 100,000km

JRL
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I thought the transmission problems were only on the 2001's and that the 2002's and up had the electric transmission which didn't have the same problems. Am I mistaken? How about 2003? What IS it with these cars?

You are (mistaken).
What's an "electrical" transmission?:confused:

Do you mean the AWD System? 2003's have HALDEX (which is electrical) but nothing to do with the tranny. 2002's have the old viscous coupling, (good luck)
2002s have the same transmission as the 01s the difference is they never had the stop neutral feature which added to the early demise of the 01's.
IF...it's been serviced it may be just fine, but at 80K miles and no tranny service, you may have some future tranny problems.
I suggest a fluid change ASAP

Sasquatch
05-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah, the "HALDEX (which is electrical)" is what I was referring to. I thought this was the front to rear differential (torque splitter?), and if that isn't part of the transmission, what is?