PDA

View Full Version : 98 Owner Considering Upgrade to 04...

4MUL8R
04-29-2009, 03:19 AM
I purchased a used 98 and have recently experienced some costly repairs. When I think about all the potential repairs, and all the noises that I hear, and the age of the car, and ... yes, I'm a bit paranoid. But, even though this is my seventh Volvo, and I love the marque, I'm not happy with the reliability of this example.

Anyway, the local dealer has a 2004 CPO. I'm thinking wow, a CPO, six years newer, warranty to 100K or June 2010. Do I trade money for peace of mind?

Did Volvo make the XC better by 2004? Did they eliminate radios without night lighting, angle gears, crazy oil sump o-rings, air pumps that make noise, leaky rear axles, etc.? Does the 04 still have the dreaded ETM?

goldxc70
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
I purchased a used 98 and have recently experienced some costly repairs. When I think about all the potential repairs, and all the noises that I hear, and the age of the car, and ... yes, I'm a bit paranoid. But, even though this is my seventh Volvo, and I love the marque, I'm not happy with the reliability of this example.

Anyway, the local dealer has a 2004 CPO. I'm thinking wow, a CPO, six years newer, warranty to 100K or June 2010. Do I trade money for peace of mind?

Did Volvo make the XC better by 2004? Did they eliminate radios without night lighting, angle gears, crazy oil sump o-rings, air pumps that make noise, leaky rear axles, etc.? Does the 04 still have the dreaded ETM?

Others will probably reply with more detailed answers to the specific questions you raise but the general impression here and elsewhere is that the 04 XC70 is a pretty reliable vehicle with most, if not all, the issues of earlier MY's worked out. I have an 04 with 114,000km and the only problem I've had is with a front wheel bearing which was replaced under warranty. I noticed recently that the fuel filler door lock is not working and that the CD player can be a little erratic but otherwise no problems.

JRL
04-29-2009, 12:07 PM

SURE, WHY NOT?

Did Volvo make the XC better by 2004?

YES

Did they eliminate radios without night lighting,

????

angle gears,

STILL HAS AN ANGLE,GEAR, IT HAS TO FOR AN AWD TO WORK

crazy oil sump o-rings,

NO PROBLEM IF THE CAR IS SERVICED

air pumps that make noise,

98 ONLY

leaky rear axles, etc.?

HUH?

Does the 04 still have the dreaded ETM?

EVERY MODERN CAR HAS AN ETM, DREADED? HARDLY.
(THAT WAS CHANGED FOR 2002 AND WAS A 99-01 ISSUE)

----------------------------------------------------------------

DrJazz
04-29-2009, 12:09 PM
My experience with my 04 (with 91,000 kms) is similar to goldxc70. The only issue I've had with my car is the new tie-rods it needs every 2 years, but that may be more a reflection of the pothole density in my neck of the woods as opposed to the car itself. Overall, I am totally thrilled with its reliability to date.

BillAileo
04-29-2009, 12:13 PM
My experience is with an '03 and it has been very good.

Aviator
04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
DrJazz, your avatar is my cell phone background screen!![happy]

Dave.

crawford930
05-15-2009, 10:35 AM
What is the dreaded ETM?

Aviator
05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
What is the dreaded ETM?

Throttle body.

Dave.